1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    316705
    20 Mar '12 23:40
    Something I'd like to see displayed when I arrive at my first RHP screen of the day (in my case, it's the MyGames page):
    "please check the latest news in the Announcements Forum" (with a clickable link of course)

    as a one-off for each player each time Russ places a new thread in the Announcements Forum.

    It would mean the whole site would be aware of new happenings (such as the Android option) rather than just that minority of players who happen to frequent the forums.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    316705
    23 Mar '12 23:21
    Wow! Hadn't expected such a non-response. Doesn't anyone else get sick of having to explain stuff to people who never read forums?
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    6861
    25 Mar '12 14:33
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Wow! Hadn't expected such a non-response. Doesn't anyone else get sick of having to explain stuff to people who never read forums?
    How about the best solution? Just... don't. Refer them to the forum and let them work it out for themselves. They are, after all, chess players; they should have at least the minimal intelligence required to read a FAQ.

    Richard
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Joined
    18 Apr '10
    Moves
    58847
    25 Mar '12 16:15
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Something I'd like to see displayed when I arrive at my first RHP screen of the day (in my case, it's the MyGames page):
    "please check the latest news in the Announcements Forum" (with a clickable link of course)

    as a one-off for each player each time Russ places a new thread in the Announcements Forum.

    It would mean the whole site would be aware of ne ...[text shortened]... Android option) rather than just that minority of players who happen to frequent the forums.
    I suspect a lot of people would simply leave such a message unread until it dissappeared.
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    515927
    27 Mar '12 08:48
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Wow! Hadn't expected such a non-response. Doesn't anyone else get sick of having to explain stuff to people who never read forums?
    Indeed it's a good idea and has collected 4 thumbs up, so no problem.

    If people would react to such a message is a different debate
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    6861
    28 Mar '12 11:16
    Originally posted by venda
    I suspect a lot of people would simply leave such a message unread until it dissappeared.
    Particularly the kind of people who don't read the forums to begin with. So the people it's supposed to reach, it is most likely not to.

    Richard
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    515927
    28 Mar '12 13:55
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Particularly the kind of people who don't read the forums to begin with. So the people it's supposed to reach, it is most likely not to.

    Richard
    In fact I think that many more people read their messages than the forum.
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    316705
    28 Mar '12 21:23
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    In fact I think that many more people read their messages than the forum.
    Perhaps that's what is needed then, a broadcast PM whenever there's something that everyone on the site needs to know. It'd hardly be "junk mail".
  9. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    887499
    31 Mar '12 04:14
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Wow! Hadn't expected such a non-response. Doesn't anyone else get sick of having to explain stuff to people who never read forums?
    you got five thumbs up votes, that's not a "non-response"

    you also posted a suggestion that has been made about a hundred times over the past five or more years and hasn't gone anywhere, sometimes we might just figure that if it wasn't meant to be then it probably isn't worth getting into it again or something like that
Back to Top