Annoying Ad

Standard memberGJB
Site Ideas 08 Jun '05 12:03
  1. Joined
    01 Mar '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '05 12:03
    I understand the need for ads on this site, but I get very annoyed by the Crazy Frog ad. This ad is, besides being ugly, for which it can be forgiven, making a lot of sound. This is destroying my concentration, or mixing with my mp3-music playing. Could the sound be turned off please?
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 Jun '05 12:13
    Originally posted by GJB
    I understand the need for ads on this site, but I get very annoyed by the Crazy Frog ad. This ad is, besides being ugly, for which it can be forgiven, making a lot of sound. This is destroying my concentration, or mixing with my mp3-music playing. Could the sound be turned off please?
    Sounds like spyware.
  3. Joined
    01 Mar '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '05 12:30
    It is a side-banner on this site
  4. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    08 Jun '05 13:301 edit
    In IE, Disable the options
    Play sounds in web pages
    Play animations in web pages
    Play videos in web pages

(I've never found any of the above to hamper web browsing)

Then disable flash if you have it installed (again, typically useless: if somebody's website insits on flash, find another website, or just turn it on for the few sites you have no option)

Do this and all the ads will become static.
  5. Joined
    05 Dec '04
    Moves
    08 Jun '05 15:50
    Originally posted by GJB
    Sorry, can't see the ad 🙂
  6. Standard memberdfm65
    The Godfather
    e8
    Moves
    08 Jun '05 16:20
    Originally posted by GJB
    one of the many benefits of subscribing is that you don't see ads any more on this site...<hint, hint>
  7. Joined
    01 Mar '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '05 20:321 edit
    Originally posted by Toe
    In IE, Disable the options
    Play sounds in web pages
    Play animations in web pages
    Play videos in web pages

Originally posted by dfm65
    [b]one of the many benefits of subscribing is that you don't see ads any more on this site...<hint, hint>
    Toe: Thanks for the advice! Still i think RHP should better not place ads with sound 🙂

dfm65: hint taken, but i just don't have the money right now
  8. Joined
    14 Apr '01
    Moves
    09 Jun '05 20:21
    Turn your speakers off. I don't know how to do that. I do not have speakers.
    Dan
  9. Standard memberStrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    Amsterdam, NL
    Moves
    10 Jun '05 04:30
    Originally posted by GJB
    dfm65: hint taken, but i just don't have the money right now
    The following solution is completely free:

Download Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) add the AdBlock extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=10) and you're set. When there's an annoying ad, right-click it, select "AdBlock Image", and you'll never see it again.

You can even block Flash animations; they are only shown when you click on the icon that replaces it. I *love* it!! You can truly claim back the web from those obnoxious marketing drones.
  10. Joined
    01 Mar '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '05 08:12
    dant, thanks for the constructive advice

strayjay, i'm already using firefox, so i'll certainly be installing that extension, thanks for the tip

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree