1. Standard memberDeepfault
    Devil's Advocate
    On the Fence
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 16:30
    Hi,

On my PDA the Redhotpawn site appears to be going backwards. I used to be able to see the boards but not make any moves. This meant I could phone through my moves to a colleague to make which while on the road kept me up with things.

Now I can not see the boards, they come out as one long column of pieces and back squares with the annotation all funny (was going to get a screen shot but have not figured out how to do it yet).

Is this a stage towards some greater and more functional interface or has the PDA/Mobile system interface wandered off into oblivon?

Dont mean to nag just curious and some leagues are comming up soon, will have to buy something to connect the old laptop while mobile if the PDA interface is a gonna for good.

Thanks

Df
  2. Earth Prime
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 18:02
    There was A version... but russ never released it, even for beta, since he said he tried it and "failed miserably." Apparently we aren't of top priority.
  3. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 18:40
    Originally posted by Deepfault
    This meant I could phone through my moves to a colleague to make which while on the road kept me up with things.
    Should your mate be using your account to move for you? Is this a breach of T's and C's? What if they saw a 'better' move and decided to 'help you out'? (not that you need much help with your rating) 😉
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 21:281 edit
    Even as I 'speak', I am preparing a 'legacy' board interface. (Sunday nights don't get any better than this...)

It won't be pretty, but it should work on any device with a web browser and some form of JavaScript support. It will be launched along with the new board code within the next week as a fall back for those who have any problems with the new interface.

-Russ
  5. Standard memberDeepfault
    Devil's Advocate
    On the Fence
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 13:15
    Originally posted by rhb
    Should your mate be using your account to move for you? Is this a breach of T's and C's? What if they saw a 'better' move and decided to 'help you out'? (not that you need much help with your rating) 😉
    Trust me on this one none of my staff are likely to spot a better move them me, in most cases chess is not their thing.

It would be more then their jobs are worth to make a move other then that they are instructed to make. (perhaps putting it a little more strongly then is true in actuality, but the sense is true none the less)

In regard to the T&Cs please indicate where it says that you can not use a proxy to log in and following your instructions make a move ...

If such legislation does exist i will certainly reconsider my behaviour.
  6. UK
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 12:231 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    Even as I 'speak', I am preparing a 'legacy' board interface. (Sunday nights don't get any better than this...)

It won't be pretty, but it should work on any device with a web browser and some form of JavaScript support. It will be launched along with the new board code within the next week as a fall back for those who have any problems with the new interface.

-Russ
    I replied to your thread in the General forum about the new interface, saying that with the board set to Micro, I could only see a column of X's down the left side of my PDA screen.
    Of course, having re-read your original post, I realised I didn't have the Legacy option selected.
    Once this was selected I could see the board just fine with the PDA but I'm still not able to move any pieces.
    Is this a site problem, a browser problem or a me problem?
    Just to reiterate, my PDA runs Windows Mobile 5 (the newest version) for PocketPC.
    The browser I use is the integrated Internet Explorer.
    If I'm being a doofus and missing something really obvious, please feel free to hit me on the head with a spoon.

Martin
  7. Standard memberDeepfault
    Devil's Advocate
    On the Fence
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 22:28
    Hi Martin,

It has never been possible to move on a PDA screen something to do with the browser, I have an XDAIIs and before that XDAII and XDA and it has never worked. I am upgrading to an XDA exec in the next week or so, so this may make a difference as its a 3g phone.

It is not just RHP the browser in pocketpc does not work with a quite a few other sites i guess MS just has not given these browsers the functionality of the main ie product.

I have been considering looking for another non MS browser but will wait until i check out what the next generation of PDAs can do first.

To summarise its not you its the PDA.

Andy
  8. Standard memberDeepfault
    Devil's Advocate
    On the Fence
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 16:36
    Recently upgraded to the latest XDA the XDA Exec and still the built in browser did not work with red hot pawn or many other sites.

So I had a hunt around and found the latest Opera browser, after a much trouble getting it downloaded, microsoft REALLY did not want me to use something else! i managed to get in installed.

It is significantly better then the browser built into Microsoft Pocket Windows PC and renders the pages in full so the fit in the screen (with slight adjustment of the zoom) and all the functions appear to work well.

Just thought everyone who has been trying this would like to know.

In short use Opera available here...

http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/products/

There are versions for loads of different mobile devices.

Only downside is that the Beta broswer i have appears to expire on the 1st June no doubt i will be able to get another version
  9. Standard memberJDK2
    Trainee Party Animal
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 16:28
    Thanks Deepfault. That info is very useful. I just bought the Mini S this week (the one below the exec). PIE is certainly not the greatest browser.

I thought I was the only one with interests in RHP over GPRS/WAP but it seems there is a whole community trying the same things.

If it only had move/go to next game/exit then I will still be a happy bunny. I will give it a go tonight with the Opera browser.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree