1. Joined
    10 Nov '09
    Moves
    01 Feb '20 14:17
    Russ, I've noticed some games with only kings left on the board. Is there any way to automatically award a draw for this? I know either player can claim the draw, but I think that should be automatic. Also, timeouts ( with only kings left ) count as losses. Over the board, timeouts count as draws under these same circumstances. kingbishop99 recently fell victim to this and surely many other players also had this happen.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    01 Feb '20 16:23
    @apawnocalypse said
    Russ, I've noticed some games with only kings left on the board. Is there any way to automatically award a draw for this? I know either player can claim the draw, but I think that should be automatic. Also, timeouts ( with only kings left ) count as losses. Over the board, timeouts count as draws under these same circumstances. kingbishop99 recently fell victim to this and surely many other players also had this happen.
    Long overdue.

There is code that looks for checkmate and stalemate after each move. That same bit of code could also scan for insufficient material and enforce a draw.

It should be that way for K v K, K + N v K, and K + B v K.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '09
    Moves
    04 Feb '20 07:26
    @BigDoggProblem

Absolutely true. Draws should be automatic for each of those scenarios. For K v K + N + N, I would not have the automatic draw as checkmate is possible despite not being forced. These scenarios could potentially cost players tournaments too. Especially Hardcore tournaments in which timeouts are way more common.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Feb '20 13:24
    @apawnocalypse said
    @BigDoggProblem

Absolutely true. Draws should be automatic for each of those scenarios. For K v K + N + N, I would not have the automatic draw as checkmate is possible despite not being forced. These scenarios could potentially cost players tournaments too. Especially Hardcore tournaments in which timeouts are way more common.
    So you just agree with BigDoggProblem.

This (automatic draws where there is no possible wins) has been proposed before. I support that.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    04 Feb '20 13:261 edit
    I'll have a looks to see if KvK can be called without risking introducing problems.

Whatever the outcome of above, I'm currently nearing the end of months of effort to rewrite the internals that processes exactly this kind of thing*. So I'll make sure that it is definitely added to the new code.

*New core code that supports 960, and a whole lot more...stay tuned!
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Feb '20 14:03
    @russ said
    I'll have a looks to see if KvK can be called without risking introducing problems.

Whatever the outcome of above, I'm currently nearing the end of months of effort to rewrite the internals that processes exactly this kind of thing*. So I'll make sure that it is definitely added to the new code.

*New core code that supports 960, and a whole lot more...stay tuned!
    Good News indeed
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 Feb '20 23:09
    It is not easy but is possible for Two knights and King to checkmate a lone king.

Only issue I could see that might arise.

-VR
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    06 Feb '20 20:291 edit
    @Very-Rusty

A valid point. K vs K+N+N is not an automatic draw. If the last pieces come off the board in a favourable position for the side with the 2 knights, mate is possible.
  9. Joined
    23 Jan '20
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 06:21
    Those million moves players will be pissed 🤔
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Feb '20 18:402 edits
    @moonbus said
    @Very-Rusty

A valid point. K vs K+N+N is not an automatic draw. If the last pieces come off the board in a favourable position for the side with the 2 knights, mate is possible.
    Yes, I just finished one of those games, but wasn't able to get my opponents king in the corner. He was one of the more active players on the site and told me it wasn't possible. I told him it was, but he played it well, and I didn't play my two knights well enough to chase his K in the corner.

It is the first end game of this type I've ever come across including over the board games. I once saw how it was done in an end game in a book for endgames.

-VR
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    10 May '20 14:591 edit
    New (unreleased) code will now correctly auto-draw on :

King vs king with no other pieces.
    King and bishop vs king.
    King and knight vs king.
    King and bishop vs king and bishop of the same coloured square.

Still some way from getting this released though, as the testing requirement is huge on this.
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 Jun '20 13:17
    @russ said
    New (unreleased) code will now correctly auto-draw on :

King vs king with no other pieces.
    King and bishop vs king.
    King and knight vs king.
    King and bishop vs king and bishop of the same coloured square.

Still some way from getting this released though, as the testing requirement is huge on this.
    Will you ask some People in the private club to test this?
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Jun '20 12:351 edit
    @Ponderable

Definitely. There are quite a few dependancies on other things that also need to be updated right now before this can even get close to a release.

Regarding the testing of this new code, a new (public) live chess test site running the new code will be available soon. If it works well, it will almost certainly replace the blitz here too in the future.

Once available, I would like as many people as possible to check that out. I'll post more details later.

If that all goes well, then I can start migrating RHP over. Although the new code supports variants, the current RHP board UI also needs updating for this purpose.

So lots of changes that need to be carefully managed overt the next 6 months.
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    17 Jun '20 12:12
    @russ said
    @Ponderable

Definitely. There are quite a few dependancies on other things that also need to be updated right now before this can even get close to a release.

Regarding the testing of this new code, a new (public) live chess test site running the new code will be available soon. If it works well, it will almost certainly replace the blitz here too in the future.

On ...[text shortened]... his purpose.

So lots of changes that need to be carefully managed overt the next 6 months.
    Good luck with the work!
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Jun '20 13:071 edit
    @Ponderable
    Thanks.

Related : Thread 185857

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree