1. Joined
    01 Jul '08
    Moves
    23826
    24 Feb '09 20:02
    Has this ever been suggested/rejected? Maybe with an option to select games where your opponent has asked for extra time to be excluded.
  2. Joined
    01 Jul '08
    Moves
    23826
    24 Feb '09 20:09
    I've also wondered what would happen if you're on the screen with a skull, but, before clicking it, your opponent moves, would you still get the option to win the game?
  3. hirsute rooster
    Joined
    13 Apr '05
    Moves
    16087
    24 Feb '09 20:35
    Originally posted by MilkyJoe
    Has this ever been suggested/rejected? Maybe with an option to select games where your opponent has asked for extra time to be excluded.

    Originally posted by MilkyJoe
    I've also wondered what would happen if you're on the screen with a skull, but, before clicking it, your opponent moves, would you still get the option to win the game?
    Automatic timeouts are there for some games already - tournaments for example.

    There is a central database of games - so any given game is either eligible for the skull treatment or not.
    Clicking a skull after the database has been updated by your opponent moving will not grant you the win.
    Similarly if you click the skull while the opponent has the game in front of them considering a move, when they come to make their move they should find that the game is over.
  4. Joined
    01 Jul '08
    Moves
    23826
    24 Feb '09 21:12
    But surely if you run out of time you should lose (them's the rules). I suppose it stops you opening the game in another window or tab, and if you get yourself into trouble, clicking the skull that's in the other window/tab. Maybe nulling the option if you were to move (if this was ever implemented)?
    What would happen if you get the prompt to win the game, then they move? (I'm talking seconds). I'm not particularly bothered by this by the way. it's just a general wonderment.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    24 Feb '09 21:34
    Originally posted by MilkyJoe
    But surely if you run out of time you should lose (them's the rules).
    I think not. If time's out, then it has to be discovered by the opponent in order to win. There are FIDE rules about what happens if both clocks run out of time. (Draw, isn't it?)

    So if you don't discover that the opponent's time is out, you just don't see the skull, and your own skull appears, then your opponent can click it and get the win. Both parties can miss the skull, and then the game continues, as noone has claimed the win.

    The today's skull procedure works fine. Don't change it.
  6. Joined
    01 Jul '08
    Moves
    23826
    24 Feb '09 21:43
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I think not. If time's out, then it has to be discovered by the opponent in order to win. There are FIDE rules about what happens if both clocks run out of time. (Draw, isn't it?)

    So if you don't discover that the opponent's time is out, you just don't see the skull, and your own skull appears, then your opponent can click it and get the win. Both part ...[text shortened]... as noone has claimed the win.

    The today's skull procedure works fine. Don't change it.
    How can you both have skulls? If you run out of time, you lose. I realise this is an internet chess site and not strictly bound by proper rules, but the time restriction is still a rule.
  7. Joined
    01 Jul '08
    Moves
    23826
    24 Feb '09 21:45
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I think not. If time's out, then it has to be discovered by the opponent in order to win. There are FIDE rules about what happens if both clocks run out of time. (Draw, isn't it?)

    So if you don't discover that the opponent's time is out, you just don't see the skull, and your own skull appears, then your opponent can click it and get the win. Both part ...[text shortened]... as noone has claimed the win.

    The today's skull procedure works fine. Don't change it.
    How can both clocks run down simultaneously?
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    24 Feb '09 21:491 edit
    Originally posted by MilkyJoe
    How can both clocks run down simultaneously?
    He's not talking about having skulls at the same time, he's talking about the passage of time. Even if you see a skull on your page, if the player has made a move before you click you are not rewarded the win since a move was made before the click.

    It may read strange because English may not be Fabfnas native language? Not sure.

    P-
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    24 Feb '09 22:13
    Originally posted by MilkyJoe
    How can both clocks run down simultaneously?
    Right, my fault.

    But still, you haven't won the game before the skull is clicked (if it's not the tournament auto-timeout because of inactivity in starting the game). If the skull is not clicked the game is not won.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    24 Feb '09 22:20
    Originally posted by MilkyJoe
    Has this ever been suggested/rejected? Maybe with an option to select games where your opponent has asked for extra time to be excluded.
    I'm in favor of having an autoflag option. Chess servers have them [ICC, playchess].

    For the more serious forms of play, like tournaments and clan leagues, I would prefer that all games autoflag. The event should not be held up any longer than necessary.
  11. Joined
    01 Jul '08
    Moves
    23826
    25 Feb '09 01:11
    If a game has a time limit, and you go beyond that limit, you lose. If you win by checkmate you don't have to acknowledge the win, you just win. Probably a whole different issue, but you get my point.
  12. Joined
    01 Jul '08
    Moves
    23826
    25 Feb '09 01:501 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    It may read strange because English may not be Fabfnas native language? Not sure.
    P-
    If not, he has a better grasp of English than most of my English friends. 🙂
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    25 Feb '09 05:591 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    It may read strange because English may not be Fabfnas native language? Not sure.

    Originally posted by MilkyJoe
    If not, he has a better grasp of English than most of my English friends. 🙂
    Thank you guys, it's the finest compliment I've ever got from anyone native English tongue. (Insert a blushing MrSmilie with a smile here, if there is any)

    I'm born in Sweden, lived in Sweden since, never been into English spoken countries for no more than a few weeks in all. So my English is acquired mostly within Sweden.

    If you think my English is good, then I have to thank RHP and my activities at the forums, debating in English. Compare my postings from my early days here, and you'll see that I've improved greatly.

    Again, thank you all for bear out with me! 🙂
  14. Standard memberGalaKev
    Borderer
    Scotland
    Joined
    09 Apr '07
    Moves
    33614
    25 Feb '09 14:09
    Originally posted by MilkyJoe
    If a game has a time limit, and you go beyond that limit, you lose. If you win by checkmate you don't have to acknowledge the win, you just win. Probably a whole different issue, but you get my point.
    Personally, its okay as it stands.

    Things happen in life and as long as its not affecting more than that game, i.e. holding up a tournament.

    So what happens as a non-sub, you find that your not going to be around for 14 days at short notice.

    Under your proposals, tough.

    Under existing system, You could PM your opponent and say "sorry, due to unforeseen circumstances, I am not going to be able to play for x days. Please don't claim a time-out win".

    Most (but not all) players would find that acceptable and not claim the skull.

    At least now, it gives a bit of discretion to making your mind up on the merits of clicking a skull.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    26 Feb '09 00:25
    Originally posted by GalaKev
    Personally, its okay as it stands.

    Things happen in life and as long as its not affecting more than that game, i.e. holding up a tournament.

    So what happens as a non-sub, you find that your not going to be around for 14 days at short notice.

    Under your proposals, tough.

    Under existing system, You could PM your opponent and say "sorry, due to unf ...[text shortened]... t now, it gives a bit of discretion to making your mind up on the merits of clicking a skull.
    I don't see the problem here.

    Those who wish to exercise discretion can simply choose not to use autoflag.
Back to Top