1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 07:47
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I've been thinking about it some more, and I don't think this is the way to go.

It seems to me that there are 2 seperate, though similar, problems here.
    1) New players joining banded tournies before they rise to their true rating
    2) Old players who's ratings have dropped due to T/Os entering lower banded tournies.

So, IMO, you need 2 seperate sol ...[text shortened]... n get beaten by a 1600 while still rated below 1600, their band could be reduced by 1 band.

D
    I see your point.

The only problem I have with a rating floor system is that wil only work accurately for steadily improving players, but will 'penalise' fluctuating players like me more.
    I know this might be a bit biased, but I'm not the only player who's rating fluctuates according to the time spent on chess. Sometimes I can spend more time on chess and my rating spikes up - other times I have to move fast and my rating falls.

Also, a floor value does not take into account huge rating spikes due to T/Os etc.
    It could happen that I get 6/7 big rating TO victories which could inflate my rating by 200 points. It's unlikely, but it could happen.

Where do you draw the line?
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 10:02
    Originally posted by Crowley
    I see your point.

The only problem I have with a rating floor system is that wil only work accurately for steadily improving players, but will 'penalise' fluctuating players like me more.
    I know this might be a bit biased, but I'm not the only player who's rating fluctuates according to the time spent on chess. Sometimes I can spend more time on ches ...[text shortened]... ate my rating by 200 points. It's unlikely, but it could happen.

Where do you draw the line?
    Yes, but look at your profile.

You had 1 lenghty spike up around 1400, so getting the highest 10 continuous game average of that spike, then your rating floor for banded tournies would be, say, 1400 - 150 (maybe 200? ) = 1250 (1200? ), which seems about right for you. You're currently restricted to 1307+ bands, so having a floor 50 to 100 points below that seems right.

Depending on how this works with other fluctuators, then the number of continuous games to be included in the spike calculation could be refined to be better, ie: 10, 20, 30.

My highest 10 continous game average would be about 1835, so my rating floor for banded tournies could be 1685 (using -150), again which would be a good floor for me, I think.

Getting 10 or 20 or 30 wins by TO is unlikely and if your rating is inflated, as soon as you lose against an opponent by non-TO, your rating will plummet fairly quickly again.

Having said all that, I think the higher of the banded tournie rating floor and your highest rating in the past 30 days should be used to determine eligibility for banded tournies. This new system would be an extension for the current system, rather than a whole new system.

Where's Marina?

D
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 12:53
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Yes, but look at your profile.

You had 1 lenghty spike up around 1400, so getting the highest 10 continuous game average of that spike, then your rating floor for banded tournies would be, say, 1400 - 150 (maybe 200? ) = 1250 (1200? ), which seems about right for you. You're currently restricted to 1307+ bands, so having a floor 50 to 100 points below ...[text shortened]... be an extension for the current system, rather than a whole new system.

Where's Marina?

D
    Bloody hell, you're persistant!

OK, it's paid off. You've convinced me, this has merit...

What about using a compromise system that uses this spike floor value, your current rating and your 30 day high value?

10 highest spikes seems like a good starting point.
    Mine is:
    In the 1400s - 17, 36, 22, 31, 19, 24, 16, 16, 19, 21 avg = 1422

( (Spike avg. - Floor value) + Highest 30 day + Current Rating ) / 3
    ((1422-200) + 1307 + 1275 ) / 3 = 1268

I'll work out some other examples....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree