1. ...who does not know
    Moves
    29 Apr '09 17:00
    Here is a copy of an email and response I got from the site. I am asking all who may be interested here to please make the same request. That is what the response states to me, so I am just looking for other people who may share my interest in a raised black and white set of pieces in their board settings. Please request it from the site.
    Sincerely
    Eric LeFavour

"Hey,
    In my board settings. Can you make a copy of "Red Menace Raised" in black?
    Thanks"

Thanks for your feedback. Please note that in order to view progress and to send further feedback on this issue you should visit the following page :
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/feedback.php?id=64258&ticketcode=PTTA3M4K3QSAKTEJ

"Dear Eric LeFavour,

Thank you for your recent feedback.

Unfortunately, unless we get numerous requests to do this, we will be unable to make this change.

Sorry about that.

Please let me know if I can help further,

Regards,

-Russ"
  2. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    29 Apr '09 17:22
    Just had a look at the various sets.Funny stuff.You really play with that raised set??How can you see anything!?

Are there people who play with the medieval set?Or the halloween set?

I'm happy with my newspaper set ๐Ÿ™‚
  3. ...who does not know
    Moves
    29 Apr '09 17:48
    Yeah, I do play with the raised set. I don't have any problem seeing? It looks more like a real board and pieces to me. That's just me.
  4. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    29 Apr '09 17:55
    Originally posted by Eric LeFavour
    Yeah, I do play with the raised set. I don't have any problem seeing? It looks more like a real board and pieces to me. That's just me.
    I mean 'see' in a chess sense: lines,diagonals,threats,opportunities.Tried the raised set on analyses board.I have no clue what's happening on the board LOL

But hey,if it works for you all's well ๐Ÿ™‚
  5. ...who does not know
    Moves
    29 Apr '09 17:59
    I guess for me, it looks like a real board? Maybe I'm at a disadvantage and I don't know it? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ ๐Ÿ™‚
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    29 Apr '09 21:15
    A sure-fire way to get this type of thing done is to actually design the piece set yourself.

I think some users here (Starrman?) have designed sets that made it onto the site.
  7. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    29 Apr '09 21:15
    I guess for me, it looks like a real board? Maybe I'm at a disadvantage and I don't know it? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ ๐Ÿ™‚
    That could very well be.Easy to test,try the newspaper set for a few new games and see if you do better.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    29 Apr '09 21:20
    Originally posted by Romanticus
    That could very well be.Easy to test,try the newspaper set for a few new games and see if you do better.
    I used to use that set, now use Alpha. Both are nice, but I like it PLAIN.

The best idea proposed here was making your own set like Starrman did. I've always wanted to, but never got around to making one.

P-
  9. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    29 Apr '09 22:33
    Didn't russ have a page a while back that had the stats for # of users for each set and some other site stats?
  10. ...who does not know
    Moves
    30 Apr '09 06:17
    I have no idea how to design a set? I don't even know how to begin? The feeling I got from Russ was that if there were enough interested people it may get done. I'm guessing that not many people play with the raised sets. I'm probably just gonna have to deal with it whether I make a set or not. It's not a huge deal or anything. I was just curious about it and found it funny that there were red and white sets before black and white. The only thing that would need changed is the color. Looks pretty much like your standard Staunton style pieces. If anyone knows how to create a set though, I would be interested in hearing how. Thanks everybody.
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    30 Apr '09 09:121 edit
    I have no idea how to design a set? I don't even know how to begin? The feeling I got from Russ was that if there were enough interested people it may get done. I'm guessing that not many people play with the raised sets. I'm probably just gonna have to deal with it whether I make a set or not. It's not a huge deal or anything. I was just curiou ...[text shortened]... e knows how to create a set though, I would be interested in hearing how. Thanks everybody.
    The Red Menace set was produced by action User 368190.
    Message him and ask him if he could whip up a black variant if the need arises. Should be a matter of minutes for a graphic designer, provided he still has the development images for the current Red Menace set.
  12. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateโ„ข
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    30 Apr '09 11:041 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    The Red Menace set was produced by action User 368190.
    Message him and ask him if he could whip up a black variant if the need arises. Should be a matter of minutes for a graphic designer, provided he still has the development images for the current Red Menace set.
    Well, I'm no graphic designer but I gave it a whirl!

One quick bit of selective desaturation later:
    http://twisted-psychosis.co.uk/rhp/raised-black.jpg

It's actually quite hard to get the shadows and definition to stand out properly on dark objects like that ๐Ÿ˜•
  13. ...who does not know
    Moves
    30 Apr '09 11:491 edit
    Daemon Sin, that set doesn't look too bad. Is it hard to make that pith black look? You had said something about the shadows being difficult and this set looks a little grey. Still a lot more than I can do. MXC fan? LOL
  14. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateโ„ข
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    30 Apr '09 12:49
    Daemon Sin, that set doesn't look too bad. Is it hard to make that pith black look? You had said something about the shadows being difficult and this set looks a little grey. Still a lot more than I can do. MXC fan? LOL
    That look in the ink I posted was easy - literally 30 seconds work in Photoshop. All I did was select the red pieces and remove the colour so they went grey.

Trying to get them blacker is the difficult part. Any darker and the definition (the edges and shadows that make it look 3D) disappear and you end up with a dark blob.

MXC was one of THE best things on TV. It's a shame they've stopped showing it and tried to copy it with crap like "Total Wipeout".
  15. ...who does not know
    Moves
    30 Apr '09 13:041 edit
    My wife and I love to watch MXC when we can find it on. We laugh our butt's off. The thought that it is a real show makes it even funnier. The English dubbing is hilarious though. LOL

Also, how did you get the pieces into photoshop?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree