1. Standard memberDraxus
    Mr. Bombastic
    Ogden, Ut
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 21:20
    Wouldn't it be great if you could add users to a personal ignore list? I know there are a couple of people who have scared a lot of people away from the debates forum. If we had a feature that would ignore their post entirely, then the trolls wouldn't have nearly as much power over the discussions.

Is this even possible?
  2. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 22:13
    Originally posted by Draxus
    Wouldn't it be great if you could add users to a personal ignore list? I know there are a couple of people who have scared a lot of people away from the debates forum. If we had a feature that would ignore their post entirely, then the trolls wouldn't have nearly as much power over the discussions.

Is this even possible?
    Those same trolls would start crying censorship, and freedom of speech. If they're American, they'd cry about their First Ammendment rights, until they figured out that this site is not American.

But yeah, it's a good idea. The only problem I see is the constant threats as people start getting annoyed by other posters (i.e. "Keep it up, you'll be in my Ignore list"😉, and the fact you'll still see the ignored poster's posts second-hand if someone Replies and Quotes them.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 22:44
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    Those same trolls would start crying censorship, and freedom of speech.
    How so? Freedom of speech doesn't mean you have a right to be listened to by everybody.
  4. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 02:19
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    How so? Freedom of speech doesn't mean you have a right to be listened to by everybody.
    I'm not saying I'd agree with them. Actually, freedom of speech doesn't apply in privately owned websites, which this one is.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 08:39
    Originally posted by Draxus

Is this even possible?
    How does one get scared away from a Debates Forum? By being exposed to dissenting views? Surely that's the point?

Besides, one person's troll is another person's hero.
  6. The sky
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 16:31
    Originally posted by treetalk
    Besides, one person's troll is another person's hero.
    That's the whole point with this site idea, isn't it? If everybody would agree who's a troll, you could simply ban the troll. But in most cases there will be people who like to read the posts of the person and others who don't. A personal ignore list would make it possible to let the person post without annoying those who don't want to read the posts. Personally I don't think I'd ever put someone on my ignore list though, unless it's someone who posts pure spam (e.g. the same phrase over and over again, and never anything else), which I think should still be bannable. I think it would make it difficult to follow a discussion if you can't see all posts.
  7. Standard memberIcky Ike
    Pro-Complainer
    California
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 21:05
    I agree with this... I think that people should be able to moderate their own threads - We should be able to ban users from posting on threads we've started once they've posted something (therefore not preemptively).
  8. The sky
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 21:27
    Originally posted by ItalyBoyBlue
    I agree with this... I think that people should be able to moderate their own threads - We should be able to ban users from posting on threads we've started once they've posted something (therefore not preemptively).
    I very much disagree with this. You don't own the threads you create, they are part of a public forum. If you feel that someone violates the TOS, you can report it. If you just personally dislike the posts or the poster, that shouldn't be a reason to ban the user from posting in "your" thread.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 17:56
    I very much disagree with this. You don't own the threads you create, they are part of a public forum. If you feel that someone violates the TOS, you can report it. If you just personally dislike the posts or the poster, that shouldn't be a reason to ban the user from posting in "your" thread.
    Another problem is that a user who does not see some of the posts in the thread loses the ability to follow the discussion of that thread in the proper context.

Are users willing to be excluded from a discussion any time one of the 'ignored' participates?
  10. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 19:50
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Another problem is that a user who does not see some of the posts in the thread loses the ability to follow the discussion of that thread in the proper context.

Are users willing to be excluded from a discussion any time one of the 'ignored' participates?
    If people would be concerned about that, then they would be using the Ignore List for the wrong reasons. It shouldn't be used to ignore someone you simply don't see eye to eye with. That would pretty much defeat the whole purpose of this community. It should only be used to ignore posters who contribute absolutely nothing to a constructive debate or conversation, but instead spam the boards with the same nonsense over and over, or bait and/or flame others.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 04:10
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    If people would be concerned about that, then they would be using the Ignore List for the wrong reasons. It shouldn't be used to ignore someone you simply don't see eye to eye with. That would pretty much defeat the whole purpose of this community. It should only be used to ignore posters who contribute absolutely nothing to a constructive debate ...[text shortened]... but instead spam the boards with the same nonsense over and over, or bait and/or flame others.
    There are some posters who could be viewed as 'contributing nothing' to the thread, yet many in the thread respond to them. What good does it do to censor such a person? You'll just be left with a thread that stops making sense every time people interact with the person you wish to censor. [The reason for censorship is irrelevant...]
  12. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 04:11
    proper use of the Moderation system, or proper moderation is the right answer to the problem. . .not sticking your fingeres in your ears and singing La la la la la la .

Sorry about that, but that is my honest opinion.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 12:55
    Exactly... that would be like if I were to wander into a rally and someone stopped me from leaving saying, "This guy has the right to say what he wants, and YOU MUST listen."

P-
  14. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 14:18

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Standard memberAnonymousnumber1
    Just call me
    Gark
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 16:57
    In all the boards/forums I've been at, I've never used the ignore function. Ever. Then again, my skin is as thick as my bark.

In my honest opinion, it's worthless.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree