1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 11:44
    I've been thinking about how we can encourage users to self police the site for cheats and came up with the idea that there could be a league table of users who correctly report cheats.

Using the same 'fair play ticket' system that is in place at the moment. Users who submit a player that gets banned get a point that is added to a separate page that lists the top bounty hunters on the site. Perhaps there could even be extra points awarded to people who provide conclusive evidence that a user is cheating (thus removing the need for admin to do analysis).

What do you recon? The seed of a good idea or a flop?? 🙂
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 12:081 edit
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I've been thinking about how we can encourage users to self police the site for cheats and came up with the idea that there could be a league table of users who correctly report cheats.

Using the same 'fair play ticket' system that is in place at the moment. Users who submit a player that gets banned get a point that is added to a separate page that l ...[text shortened]... need for admin to do analysis).

Then I report hundreds, perhaps thousands, of members. Statistically some of them are real cheats (most of the others not), and I get a lot of free points.

If one point is given to every one reporting a chater that in facts is identified as a cheater later, then a minus point should be given to everyone just thinking someone is a cheat of the only reason that they won suprisingly.

How many faulty accusations are there today? Do you thing it will become more or less faulty accusations with your system?

The 'fair play ticket' system is good enough... I'd say it's a flop.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 12:15
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Then I report hundreds, perhaps thousands, of members. Statistically some of them are real cheats (most of the others not), and I get a lot of free points.

If one point is given to every one reporting a chater that in facts is identified as a cheater later, then a minus point should be given to everyone just thinking someone is a cheat of the only reas ...[text shortened]... ns with your system?

The 'fair play ticket' system is good enough... I'd say it's a flop.
    Hmm, that's a very good point. perhaps the system would have to only include accusations that come with evidence. One point for each game analyzed or something like that...?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 12:251 edit
    Hmm, that's a very good point. perhaps the system would have to only include accusations that come with evidence. One point for each game analyzed or something like that...?
    Still a flop.

Most of us don't know enough of cheating and engine use so we can differ a true cheat from a false one. Only top-raters can do this. And even they have to have instructions how to differ them apart.

If you distribute how-to-cheat, in order to learn how to point them out, then you also spread information how you cheat, so you can cheat invisibly. This information can only be given to people that RHP can trust to 100%.

I don't like any community where its members are encouraged, and rewarded, to spy on eachother, and report eachother. It's too much Stalin Sovjet to me.

"Hey, thiza guy, I don'ta like him, zurely he'z a cheater, I reporta him zo I cana get rid of hima."
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 13:001 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Still a flop.

Most of us don't know enough of cheating and engine use so we can differ a true cheat from a false one. Only top-raters can do this. And even they have to have instructions how to differ them apart.

If you distribute how-to-cheat, in order to learn how to point them out, then you also spread information how you cheat, so you can cheat guy, I don'ta like him, zurely he'z a cheater, I reporta him zo I cana get rid of hima."
    I agree in part, but submitting analysis that shows that a player matches fritz 1st-3rd suggestions over a game and that player matches these results over 80% say, then it is a strong suggestion that that player is highly suspicious. If a number of different hunters are submitting evidence on the same player then it means that lots of different people are suggesting a player is cheating. Over time the true cheats would rise to the top of the list through weight of evidence and admin would know which players to focus on based on actual evidence rather than a willy nilly system of people who are simply suspected of cheating by disgruntled users.

Admittedly it is not a perfect system, but providing an incentive for users to conduct there own analysis has to speed up the process of weeding out and producing evidence of engine use. There are thousands of people playing here and there are only two admins. The user base is increasing all the time so this process can only slow down over time.

If 5 people provide evidence on one player, it is a good measure of the validity of the accusations in regard to that player. Admin would probably be able to quickly find overwhelming evidence against such a player quite quickly and thus remove them quickly too. If you have a league table of bounty hunters, you effectively have a very large group of game mods (all be it amateurs). I think that would be an asset.
  6. Standard memberO Artem O
    ParTizan
    Philadelphia, USA
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 14:21
    yea i agree if you start giving points out and you can become the top what ever a lot of people will start just listing people that are probably not cheating.
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 15:05

Using the same 'fair play ticket' system that is in place at the moment. Users who submit a player that gets banned get a point that is added to a separate page that l ...[text shortened]... need for admin to do analysis).

No1 would win, based on my experience with game moderation at RHP.

There are others that helped and I hope still help, but No1 had a knack.

P-
  8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 15:20
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    No1 would win, based on my experience with game moderation at RHP.

There are others that helped and I hope still help, but No1 had a knack.

P-
    You used to be a game mod, what is your opinion on this idea? Do you think it would slow things down or speed them up?
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 15:241 edit
    You used to be a game mod, what is your opinion on this idea? Do you think it would slow things down or speed them up?
    I really don't think it's a bad idea at all . People are welcome to use the fair play ticket, why not reward them when they are right? Any submission is subject to review (I would hope), and with the old system it was easy to spot when a user just got flat out beat with no engine involved.

Anyone is welcome to review games from the PGN with an engine when the game is done. They would be well advised to ask about reviewing games in the chess section if they would like to put a bit of pep into their cheat submissions.

P-
  10. ALG
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 16:38
    If 5 people provide evidence on one player, it is a good measure of the validity of the accusations in regard to that player.
    So I have to make 5 accounts?
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 17:55
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    So I have to make 5 accounts?
    Easier than making 4 friendz!

P-
  12. ALG
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 11:04
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Easier than making 4 friendz!

P-
    friends? hey! That's a good idea.
  13. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 11:27
    Sorry for butting in like this and I may demonstrate my complete ignorance here but I think I am definitely seriously missing something here:

How on earth can you credibly discover whether or not somebody is cheating?

-I mean, for example, if I had a chess computer (which I don’t) and I wanted to cheat (which I don’t -for me it would take all the fun out of the game making it totally pointless), I could, presumably, cheat online by simply using my chess computer set to the highest level to advise me what is the best next move I should do and, unless somebody is looking over my shoulder (which, of course, there never is), how on earth could anyone know that I am cheating let alone prove it?
  14. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 13:28

Would that include people whose rating drops dramatically and then beats up on lower rated people, effectively cheating them of their rating points? 😛
  15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 14:24
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Would that include people whose rating drops dramatically and then beats up on lower rated people, effectively cheating them of their rating points? 😛
    How would you suggest i get my rating back? I generally apologies to opponents for the rating dip but what can i do? I have been away on holiday for two months...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree