1. SubscriberJohn oyates
    woodpushers
    England
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 23:41
    It would be fab to have a small icon on the main board or the analyse board areas (or both) to let us know if a 'CASTLEING' move is still available, doing away with the need to scroll through all moves backwards or from scratch in order to refresh our memory. 😀
  2. Standard memberIM4Y2NV
    Dadohalic
    Finger tip talking.
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 01:55
    Originally posted by John oyates
    It would be fab to have a small icon on the main board or the analyse board areas (or both) to let us know if a 'CASTLEING' move is still available, doing away with the need to scroll through all moves backwards or from scratch in order to refresh our memory. 😀
    I think it might be a bit much on the server to check each game after each move, Has the rook moved, has the king moved, would king be passing through check.

It is not so hard for a player to click and hold the move history scroll square and scan for K's, R's and 0-0.
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 02:12
    Originally posted by IM14u2NV
    I think it might be a bit much on the server to check each game after each move, Has the rook moved, has the king moved, would king be passing through check.

It is not so hard for a player to click and hold the move history scroll square and scan for K's, R's and 0-0.
    It shouldn't be hard. This is an attribute of the FEN tag, which the site already uses for board display and for analyze board history.

Read: What is a FEN in the FAQ.
    http://www.chessatwork.com/help/index.php?help=faq
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 07:21
    It is quite easy to check.
    If you're intend to castle - try the move, if the squares turn pink you couldn't.
  5. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 08:35
    Why not also have an icon which tells you if your opponent's queen is en prise? Or an icon which tells you there is a forced mate, so that you just have to find it?

It is the player's responsibility to know what moves are possible - by understanding the rules of the game.

That is how the game works.

This is a daft idea.
  6. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 13:30

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Cardiff
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 16:11
    Ok, but perhaps a simple compromise would be to have the option of castling played out on the 'analyze board' screen if it's available. I have never really known why it isn't on there.
    What does everyone think?
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 18:432 edits
    Originally posted by Pinnacle
    Ok, but perhaps a simple compromise would be to have the option of castling played out on the 'analyze board' screen if it's available. I have never really known why it isn't on there.
    When you play otb, is the king locked on the board so you can't move it 2 squares... or do you have to deal with the other guy who tells you that you can't castle because you already moved the king, will travel through check, or are in check?

I feel it is up to the player to know what is going on with their game. It's like having a button that would flash all legal moves for you... that is up to the player to know, and no one else to tell them.

P-
  9. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 23:274 edits
    This is a good idea.

Not an icon, but an actual button you could press to castle for you.

I've been trying to castle for days in one game and there is some glitch in the system because it won't let me and the board keeps turning pink.

Also, it would be nice if my Queen had a jet pack that allowed her to fly across the board.

And some laser cannons to mount on top of my castles would be awesome.

And how come my horse doesn't come with a knight on top? It would be way cool to dismount him and have him slashing away with his broad sword.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 23:36
    Originally posted by Red Night
    This is a good idea.

Not an icon, but an actual button you could press to castle for you.

I've been trying to castle for days in one game and there is some glitch in the system because it won't let me and the board keeps turning pink.

Also, it would be nice if my Queen had a jet pack that allowed her to fly across the board.

And some laser c ...[text shortened]... n top? It would be way to cool dismount him and have him slashing away with his broad sword.
    Give it a rest, buddy! Everyone knows laser mountings are for sharks.

😠

P-
  11. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 23:41
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Give it a rest, buddy! Everyone knows laser mountings are for sharks.

😠

P-
    We couldn't get sharks, only sea bass.
  12. SubscriberJohn oyates
    woodpushers
    England
    Moves
    17 Sep '06 20:42
    The problem with that approach is you can't plan ahead! Leave it that late in the game and you will have egg on your face 🙂
  13. SubscriberJohn oyates
    woodpushers
    England
    Moves
    17 Sep '06 20:44
    It's more a question of convenience, NOT knowing the rules!
  14. SubscriberJohn oyates
    woodpushers
    England
    Moves
    17 Sep '06 20:47
    Originally posted by Pinnacle
    That's more like it... let's hope there are some more open minded players out there!!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. SubscriberJohn oyates
    woodpushers
    England
    Moves
    17 Sep '06 20:49
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    When you play otb, is the king locked on the board so you can't move it 2 squares... or do you have to deal with the other guy who tells you that you can't castle because you already moved the king, will travel through check, or are in check?

I feel it is up to the player to know what is going on with their game. It's like having a button that would f ...[text shortened]... legal moves for you... that is up to the player to know, and no one else to tell them.

P-
    the thing is we do have that very thing!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S THE LITTLE PINK SQUARES THAT APPEAR!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree