1. Standard membermathemos
    The Vorlon
    Papillion, Nebraska
    Moves
    04 May '10 20:28
    Currently when a game ends the changes to players ratings are based on their current ratings, not their ratings when the games began.

I'd like to see the rating changes be based on the original ratings when the game started. Recently I defeated a player who was about 100 points higher when the game started. My rating stayed about the same during the game but his sank until by the end it was about a hundred points lower.

It seems to me that if players play up or down in rating the change of their ratings should be predictable than at present.

What do others think?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 May '10 20:40
    Originally posted by mathemos
    Currently when a game ends the changes to players ratings are based on their current ratings, not their ratings when the games began.

I'd like to see the rating changes be based on the original ratings when the game started. Recently I defeated a player who was about 100 points higher when the game started. My rating stayed about the same during the game ...[text shortened]... ing the change of their ratings should be predictable than at present.

What do others think?
    I think - No. It's good as it is.

We've discussing this from time to time, and after the discussions we've always agreed upon that it's the rating at the end of the game that should be the base of the rating calculation. Other way around it's very easy to boost the rating thousands of points upward.

Search the forums and you will find the discussions about this matter.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 May '10 20:44
    If rating would be calculated from as it were when the game started I would do something like this:

(1) Start a great number of games, and after three moves resign them all. My rating will go down to, say 500 points.

(2) Start another great number of games, hundreds, perhaps thousands of games. As everyone of these games would be calculated as if my rating would be 500 points, my rating would sky rocket up to 3000, 4000 or even 5000 points in very short period of time.

This wouldn't be fair. I'm glad that the rating is calculated as it is when the game is ended. As it currently is.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 May '10 16:17
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If rating would be calculated from as it were when the game started I would do something like this:

(1) Start a great number of games, and after three moves resign them all. My rating will go down to, say 500 points.

(2) Start another great number of games, hundreds, perhaps thousands of games. As everyone of these games would be calculated as if ...[text shortened]... r. I'm glad that the rating is calculated as it is when the game is ended. As it currently is.
    Around the barn we go again with this. Well said FabFan.

I THINK Ragnorak first pointed this out, though it might have been another user just as wise.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree