Chess Pyramid

Chess Pyramid

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
21 Aug 06

One feature I'd love to see on RHP is a Chess pyramid.

The idea is that there is a pyramid. At the top is no.1, beneath no.1 is no.2 and no.3, beneath no.2 is no.4 and no.5, etc. etc., and players compete to try to get to the top of the pyramid.

For example: no.2 must play no.4 and no.5 (as black), and if no.2 wins both games, then no.2 gets to challenge no.1 for the top (as white).

F

Moves
21 Aug 06

Originally posted by bosintang

The idea is that there is a pyramid. At the top is no.1, beneath no.1 is no.2 and no.3, beneath no.2 is no.4 and no.5, etc. etc., and players compete to try to get to the top of the pyramid.

For example: no.2 must play no.4 and no.5 (as black), and if no.2 wins both games, then no.2 gets to challenge no.1 for the top (as white).
Sounds interesting.
Sign me up!

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
21 Aug 06

a long time ago an idea of a similar idea in 1 dimension was put forward ... the pyramid idea sounds much better... however i am not clear on how the games are best setup ... as you have it then everyone would be playing games with a person above them, and also two people below them ... there are a variety of resluts possible ... then what? who should move up or down and when?

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
21 Aug 06
2 edits

Originally posted by flexmore
aas you have it then everyone would be playing games with a person above them, and also two people below them ... there are a variety of resluts possible ... then what? who should move up or down and when?
Anyone with an algorithms (computer programming) background should be able to figure it out. But here's an example:

No.1 Level 1
No.2,3 Level 2
No. 4, 5, 6, 7 Level 3
No. 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 14, 15 Level 4

Whoever is at the top, in level 1 always has black status (defending), and everyone in level 4, the bottom level, always have white status (attacking). Anyone in level 2 or level 3 could be either, but not both.

Someone fresh in a new level starts in the white queue, challenging players who are in the black queue in the level below them. If they lose a game, they get bumped down a level and into the black queue. If they win a game, they go back into the white queue. If they win that game (2 games in total), they go to the black queue challenging players in the white queue in the level above them. If they win their game in the black queue, (3 games in total). they are bumped into the white queue in the next higher level.

I haven't truly thought this thorough, and there may be possible situations where deadlock may occur, but as long as the ratio of defenders to attackers (2:1) stays constant, I think it will work.

r

Moves
21 Aug 06

..all of us...the few of us..who are one man clans...are the chess pyramid..