1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    01 May '06 16:57
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I'm a kind of a traditionalist that think that there are only one chess game and this is Chess.

If we let in bastards as chess960, then why not allowing all other kind of chess variants too? And find ourselves in an anarchy of chaotic chess.

I vote No.
    Even if variants are added, that doesn't stop you from playing normal chess. Please try a better argument.
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 May '06 17:06
    Yes, why would I want that?
    I'm satisfied with what I have.
    IE is good enough.
    Ah, good enough. The ceiling of satisfaction for the masses.

I thought IE was good enough too. Then I realised, hang on a second, all these pop-ups really annoy me. Hang on, so do all of these ads that are flashing and dancing around my screen. You know what, Rag? What's that , Rag. I am no longer in control of my browsing experience. I am being redirected around the www and I have very little control.

Then I thought, you know, there are more things that I don't like about my browsing experience at the minute. Is there anything I can do? And yes there was...

I wanted tabbed browsing, whereby all of my browser "windows" were now all within 1 window, so my taskbar wasn't cluttered.

I wanted to be able to browse to a bookmarks folder, and add the bookmark there just by clicking on Add Bookmark here.

I wanted to be able to customise google, so that I could see previews of the websites, along with being able to click on a link and be able to search for the same terms in other browsers.

I wanted to be able to see exactly how a page loading progress was going, and how big the page was.

I wanted to block flash ads which took over my browser screen when you moused over them.

I wanted to have a clock and calender on my browser window so I didn't have to keep double clicking on the system clock to find out the date.

I wanted to be able to zoom in on images on a web page within the browser.

I wanted links posted in RHP to act just like real links.

I only wanted javascript to be run on sites that I trusted.

I wanted to never see a black background with white writing again in my life.

I wanted to be able to highlight the name of a movie on any website, and be able to search IMDB for it with just 2 clicks.

I wanted to get a headsup rating of a website in google when it returned a search for me. Is this site a spam site, or a real quality site.

When I browsed to IMDB, I wanted the cursor to be set to the movie search box.

I wanted to be able to alt-click a word and be taken to a definition page.

I wanted a delete button in my gmail account.

I wanted to customise my RHP experience in hundreds of ways.

All of these desires were satiated with Firefox.

Tell me 1 annoyance that you have with your overall browsing experience, and I guarantee that you would be able to customise Firefox so that it no longer exists.

Good enough? Should we stop developing technology because what we have now is good enough?

What have you got to lose?

D
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 May '06 18:26
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Ah, good enough.
    Well, if you are satisfied and I am satisfied, then we are both satisfied with what we have. Isn't it marvelous?
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 May '06 18:28
    Well, if you are satisfied and I am satisfied, then we are both satisfied with what we have. Isn't it marvelous?
    I don't get it, but if you're afraid to try something different, I can't force your arm.

Enjoy IE.

D
  5. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    01 May '06 19:44
    I'm a kind of a traditionalist that think that there are only one chess game and this is Chess.

If we let in bastards as chess960, then why not allowing all other kind of chess variants too? And find ourselves in an anarchy of chaotic chess.

I vote No.
    Well, the guy is a obviously a traditionalist. No chess bastards, and no Firefox 😀
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 May '06 20:32
    Originally posted by Estebandido
    Well, the guy is a obviously a traditionalist. No chess bastards, and no Firefox
    Where I live we have freedom of choice.
    You don't have to use IE, and I don't have to use FF.
    That's is one of the things that is good with democracies.

Have you ever asked yourselves if there might be a reason of my choice? No? Alright, perhaps there is a time for that too...

If you don't accept my choice of browser - perhaps this shows more about you than of me.

😠 End of discussion.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 May '06 20:51
    Have you ever asked yourselves if there might be a reason of my choice? No? Alright, perhaps there is a time for that too...
    Care to share?

D
  8. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    01 May '06 21:09
    Where I live we have freedom of choice.
    You don't have to use IE, and I don't have to use FF.
    That's is one of the things that is good with democracies.

If you don't accept my choice of browser - perhaps this shows more about you than of me.

😠 End of discussion.
    Too bad you took my comment in the wrong way. Of course you can choose IE over FF, as I could choose chess960 over traditional chess if I pleased (the original topic of this thread, BTW). I don't see anyone limiting your choice, just providing you with some things to think about.
    Giving reasons supporting one or another choice does not limit your freedom of choice. Where I live we also have freedom of speech.
  9. Joined
    27 Apr '06
    Moves
    01 May '06 22:35
    I know it may be difficult to implement, but could the site have a choice between regular chess and chess960 (Fisher random chess)?

(Sorry if this was suggested previously)
    Yes, it would be a great feature if I could choose simply instead orthodox chess and chess960 with only a button.

Chess variation in general, and especially chess960 are a good way to improve your chess capacity
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 May '06 03:31
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Why would you need two browsers?

D
    I have 3 I use.
    Firefox
    Opera
    and sometimes IE.
  11. Earth Prime
    Moves
    02 May '06 22:03
    Well, the guy is a obviously a traditionalist. No chess bastards, and no Firefox 😀
    Maybe I should change my title. I use firefox.

...nah. It's good enough.
  12. Standard membermochiron
    The Don
    Nihon
    Moves
    05 May '06 18:59
    I wouldn't call chess960 or any other variation a bastard, because in that case "traditional" chess would be a bastard too. If we want to be ortodox or traditionalist, we would still be playing Chaturanga or Shatranj. Millions of players in the East play Xiangqi and Shogi, games that share a common origin with our "traditional" chess.

Chess has change ...[text shortened]... o that they can set the configuration of the pieces themseves, just like shuffle chess.
    Have to agree with Estebandido. Wake up people chess has chenged alot over the centuries. I thnk the new varients would help alot. I play about six varient at Schemingmind.com. All very interesting and 960 is great for tactical practice and very challenging.

SWITCH TO FIREFOX.... IE is passe and firefox is HEAPS better and SAFER.
  13. .
    Moves
    08 May '06 13:492 edits

I vote No.
    Agreed. This is good as it is. I really enjoy the new board features and buddy lists.

Just chess.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 May '06 17:05
    Originally posted by Kashgarian
    Agreed. This is good as it is. I really enjoy the new board features and buddy lists.

Just chess.
    How does it harm your experience if others play Chess960?
  15. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 May '06 00:37
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    How does it harm your experience if others play Chess960?
    Probably make for a more even [fairer?] game without so much 'extra' help available for players.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree