1. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    15 Jul '07 22:03
    Originally posted by gezza
    Hi Phlabibit

The only trouble is that the FAQ says: [b]Please be considerate with timeouts – send a reminder if possible

That implies sending a reminder and hanging around waiting. I agree with you absolutely: there is nothing wrong with taking timeouts. A win on time is still a win. But the above has coloured a number of people's opinions such th ...[text shortened]... not be able to claim the win, so ensure you have booked enough time after your return to move.[/b]
    Why would you take timeouts immediately when you can anyways? You don't get much, especially if you were losing or if it was even. The only time to take a timeout seems to be when your opponent is gone from the site. Gotta wait a bit to determine that. But I'm a slow mover so can't be bothered with people moving "slowly" whatever that means.
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 04:04
    Originally posted by gezza
    The joys and benefits of an ignore button.

I tend not to talk much when playing over the board, so seeing messages from an opponent seems odd. If they are rude, then it is just an attempt to distract you, and being able to shut it out is a real blessing.

But it sounds to me as if he owned up to cheating with a computer. I believe there is something you can do about that.
    actually, i think that using a computer program is plain stupid, so i don't care if i'm playing a computer or a real person .. . i'm only thinking of how insulting it is to be accused of playing with a computer program just a few moves into a standard opening line . ..that is absurd enough, but then when the accuser actually says "you are using a computer and i can tell because you are making the same moves that my shredder 2.0 is making . .then that IS pretty . . .insulting and . . . .well . .i don't even have a word . .sorry i repeated . i guess i'm just not over it yet
  3. U.S.A.
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 05:195 edits
    Originally posted by coquette
    We have etiquette and "netiquette", how about "chessiquette?" that would be "good RHP" manners and conduct? I think that we should have some dialogue about what are good manners and bad manners and good sports play and bad sportsmanship.

For instance, "grabbing skulls" . .i do it . i think it should be done . But, what about sitting on a losing position d that line myself . . ..

Are there others? Could it be a "site map" topical area?
    I think some of my favorite games were with players who liked to chat a lot and were very friendly. Even if the game play wasn't so spectacular. Tactics & combinations everywhere and stuff like that.
    ===============================================

I agree with timing out. They agreed to time limit so they snooze, they lose. Happily i will do this; Unless they give me a good reason or they have been really friendly and we are having a nice conversation and i am liking spending time with them. I'd look at a "chessiquette" if there was one here. Maybe it would encourage some players to be more gracious too each other? And not be sore losers when you win your match? Doesn't hurt to try, for sure. A peaceful idea, coquette. 🙂

examples of chessiquette, maybe?: [this are just ideas, though]

1. say "thanks for the game, Pavlo. I'm looking forward to playing against you. 🙂" ["pavlo" is just an example don't call your opponent that or you will insult them and they may yell or curse at you (just kidding)]
    2. whether you lose or win say, "gg"
    3. don't insult your opponent
    4. don't accuse your opponent of cheating when you have no proof
    5. don't talk badly about your opponent in the forums. Unless you leave his name out when talking about him.
    6. say, "was a very tough game. You are good player." (only if this is true. Could be taken as an insult if he is weak player and he knows it.)

etc.,etc.
  4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 05:27
    Originally posted by Pavlo87
    I think some of my favorite games were with players who liked to chat a lot and were very friendly. Even if the game play wasn't so spectacular. Tactics & combinations everywhere and stuff like that.

I agree with timing out. They agreed to time limit so they snooze, they lose. Happily i will do this; Unles ...[text shortened]... . Could be taken as an insult if he is weak player and he knows it.)

etc.,etc.
    i like all the suggestions . .and there could be "hot buttons" for each one .. like smileys, so that they could be sent with one click or as a default, unless something else is put in
  5. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 06:331 edit
    Two questions:

Who's in charge of drafting the text? I'd nominate coquette since it's her idea.
    .................maybe it should be a competition .............

Should it be available as a menu item under Introductions? perhaps with a pointer paragraph in the introductory text. If you put it in the FAQ it may not have so wide a readership.

Also, if that item about sending reminders before skulling was rewritten so that there are clear statements such as:
    "Observing timeouts is YOUR responsibility - you cannot be timed out if you observe the time controls which have been chosen for your game."
  6. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 21:17
    i would draft if the RHP admin wants me to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree