1. Joined
    20 Aug '03
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 15:54
    If both sides have insufficient material to win a game (i.e., it's a draw), then either the site should automatically declare the game as a draw, or at least let one or both the players claim a draw. I am not sure how well this is implemented, but I am following a game right now which is going on with one king + bishop vs. a lone king. See Game 882633.

I talked to fhbchess and Kresten about this game using private messages, and fhbchess says he tried to claim a draw but the site didn't let him.

I think it will be a useful feature to have the website take care of theoritical draws. In fact, I would think this feature is basic enough that not having it counts almost as a bug :-) (no, this isn't a flaimbait -- I like playing chess here and would like to see more improvements).

- Alok
  2. Berks.
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 18:30
    It's holding up the tournament too.

One problem with theoretical draws, unless you get down to KvK+B/N or KvK where mate isn't even possible, and KvK+N+N, amongst weaker players, there is still the possibility of a really stupid mistake (I speak from personal experience here.

One other idea would be for a tournament to progress after those progressing are all certain (perhaps with no games left themselves, so they don't have an extra load).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree