1. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 22:12
    I think it would be great if we could claim a draw in the cases of; king and one bishop, and other person only has king and bishop or just king. Or king and one knight, and other person only has king and knight or king and one bishop also, or just king, with NO pawns. Im pretty sure checkmate cannot be had in these cases. The problem is the game can be draged out for almost a year if theres even a 3 & 7, and if theres any kind of resentment on either side. What do you people think? And can the site be adjusted to that setting? David
  2. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 14:22
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    I think it would be great if we could claim a draw in the cases of; king and one bishop, and other person only has king and bishop or just king. Or king and one knight, and other person only has king and knight or king and one bishop also, or just king, with NO pawns. Im pretty sure checkmate cannot be had in these cases. The problem is the game can ...[text shortened]... on either side. What do you people think? And can the site be adjusted to that setting? David
    Isn't this already the case?
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 14:35
    Originally posted by Redmike
    I don't know about K+B vs K+B (opposite coloured), as it is possible to give checkmate (although nearly impossible, requiring your opponent to almost want to lose). What is the case with K+2N vs K? Can you claim a draw for that, or do you have to wait 50 moves?
  4. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 15:23
    I dont think so. It says in the FAQ for claiming draws that only one can be claimed with two kings left. Iv'e never tried it thow. I allways offered a draw and it was taken. but im pretty sure that if theres any pieces left besides the kings that a draw cannot be claimed. If you find out otherwise please let me know. David
  5. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 15:36
    Originally posted by welsharnie
    I don't know about K+B vs K+B (opposite coloured), as it is possible to give checkmate (although nearly impossible, requiring your opponent to almost want to lose). What is the case with K+2N vs K? Can you claim a draw for that, or do you have to wait 50 moves?
    You can get a checkmate with two knights and king vs king. I was mostly thinking one bishop and king vs king, or one knight and king vs king. Mostly one bishop and king vs king. I dont think checkmate is possible in this case. As for one knight and king vs king, I'm sure its possible but as you said your opponent would have to almost want to lose. but it still is possible for a checkmate. So maybe you shouldn't be able to claim a draw in this case. But in the case of one bishop and king vs king, checkmate cannot be had. If it can please let me know how. David
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 17:221 edit
    FIDE rules
    Article -
    The game is drawn when one of the following endings arises:

(a)
    king against king;
    (b)
    king against king with only bishop or knight;
    (c)
    king and bishop against king and bishop, with both bishops on diagonals of the same colour.

This immediately ends the game.

So the game should be automatically ended [like with checkmate] if these situations occur.
    Does it not work like that here?
  7. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 18:27
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    FIDE rules
    Article -
    The game is drawn when one of the following endings arises:

(a)
    king against king;
    (b)
    king against king with only bishop or knight;
    (c)
    king and bishop against king and bishop, with both bishops on diagonals of the same colour.

This immediately ends the game.

So the game should be automatically ended [like with checkmate] if these situations occur.
    Does it not work like that here?
    No. Even with just king against king you still have to claim the draw. And in FAQ on claiming draws it only states one or the other person can claim a draw if there is only kings left. It does not say anything about the other cases. And thats what i thought would be a good site idea. I have never tried to claim a draw in these cases either thow. But according to the FAQ on draws it is not possible to claim it or it does not say anything anyway about these cases, just the two kings. David
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 19:32
    No. Even with just king against king you still have to claim the draw. And in FAQ on claiming draws it only states one or the other person can claim a draw if there is only kings left. It does not say anything about the other cases. And thats what i thought would be a good site idea. I have never tried to claim a draw in these cases either thow. B ...[text shortened]... le to claim it or it does not say anything anyway about these cases, just the two kings. David
    Well in that case I agree with you, it should be automatic, or at least claimable.
  9. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    02 Feb '06 00:25
    This defintely is not the case I had a game similar to this recently. My opponent was hoping for a timeout: He picked the wrong man!

I agree it should be implemented.
  10. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    02 Feb '06 03:10
    Originally posted by invigorate
    This defintely is not the case I had a game similar to this recently. My opponent was hoping for a timeout: He picked the wrong man!

I agree it should be implemented.
    Im kinda new here. 9 months. what is the process for getting this implemented if possible? Anybody know?
  11. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    02 Feb '06 10:53
    You can get a checkmate with two knights and king vs king. I was mostly thinking one bishop and king vs king, or one knight and king vs king. Mostly one bishop and king vs king. I dont think checkmate is possible in this case. As for one knight and king vs king, I'm sure its possible but as you said your opponent would have to almost want to lose. ...[text shortened]... e bishop and king vs king, checkmate cannot be had. If it can please let me know how. David
    K + N + N vs. K is a draw; checkmate cannot be forced, although it can be achieved with A LOT of help from the other player. With K + N vs. K, mate is impossible. Should be immediately drawn.
  12. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    02 Feb '06 13:53
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    K + N + N vs. K is a draw; checkmate cannot be forced, although it can be achieved with A LOT of help from the other player. With K + N vs. K, mate is impossible. Should be immediately drawn.
    Thank you for the info. I dont think you should be able to claim a draw if it is at all possible for a checkmate. As someone just posted a few posts ago, they were checkmated with K+ N + N vs K. In those cases you have 50 half moves to avoid checkmate. K + N vs K you should be able to claim a draw. K + B vs K you should be able to claim a draw. With of course NO pawns on the board. Checkmate is Not possible in these cases. These cases is what im saying should be be added to the site as claimable draws. Otherwise the game can be draged on for almost a year with even a 3 & seven timeout, timebank. Hoping for maybe a timeout or maybe some resentment between parties. I think this is a good site idea. David
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    02 Feb '06 13:57
    Im kinda new here. 9 months. what is the process for getting this implemented if possible? Anybody know?
    Either Russ will read it here, or send feedback with the FIDE rules above, and ask if he can implement it so that the games finish automatically as a draw when the situations are reached.

It should be here, and I remember reading ages ago, that he was planning on implementing it on uchess. I'm surprised to find out that it hasn't been implemented here.

D
  14. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    02 Feb '06 15:00
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Either Russ will read it here, or send feedback with the FIDE rules above, and ask if he can implement it so that the games finish automatically as a draw when the situations are reached.

It should be here, and I remember reading ages ago, that he was planning on implementing it on uchess. I'm surprised to find out that it hasn't been implemented here.

D
    Thank you.
  15. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 20:03
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

D
    I sent it to feedback with the FIDE rules. So I guess we will have to wait and see. I sent it saterday the 11 of February. Thanks again for your help. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree