1. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 16:451 edit
    I just want to add my voice and say that I think this is an excellent idea.
  2. Standard memberCharltonfan
    Charltonfan
    Hextable,Kent
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 22:31
    Seems like an excellent idea to me!
  3. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 10:45
    I can understand the position of English Tal and others, but ultimately, I think the games in the clan matches should be determined in the games themselves, not simply by the superior pairing.

That said, I think this is a useful suggestion.
  4. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 09:56
    There doesnt seem to have been much contribution from in vino veritas to this topic, their members are usually so vocal in the forums. It is almost like they dont want this topic to be noticed for some reason...
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 13:361 edit
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    There doesnt seem to have been much contribution from in vino veritas to this topic, their members are usually so vocal in the forums. It is almost like they dont want this topic to be noticed for some reason...
    Maybe thats because we don't visit Site Ideas too often. 🙄

Also, while it would be useful for the Tournament rating to be shown alongside the current rating as it would show people with larger swings in ratings, will it actually make too much difference.

Lets look at a few random examples from people who posted in this thread

User 220141 Highest ever rating 1594, 100 day average 1524, current 1510, Tournament 1517

User 197532 Highest ever rating 1668, 100 day average 1624, current 1624, Tournament 1624

User 43395 Highest ever rating 1394, 100 day average 1254, current 1058, Tournament 1156

User 188041 Highest ever rating 1365, 100 day average 1262, current 1232, Tournament 1247

User 316581 Highest ever rating 1376, 100 day average 1376, current 1271, Tournament 1323

User 323381 Highest ever rating 1191, 100 day average 1191, current 991, Tournament 1091

These figures show that in most cases people's current ratings are are around 100 points of their all time high.

However two of those in favour are currently playing well below their highest level, one being 336 below and the other 200 below.

All in all the idea, while good in principal, will still not solve the problem, and the end result is that Clan Leaders will still need to do their homework.

Displaying the highest ever achieved rating alongside your current rating would be more useful, as a challenge issued with a currently rated 1300 player who has a high of 1650 would stand out.

Just my 2p worth, to show that even IVV are interested in this issue.
  6. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 12:422 edits
    Originally posted by polo2000
    Yes that's a great idea,
    A clan challenged us this week, it was the perfect example!
    Its name was Amsterdam 🙂)))
    😉 AMEN to that.
    Had one ourselfs a couple weeks ago. I turned down the challenge and was messaged asking me why, and so I told them why, I was called a few names, and told that I was wanted to meet face to face. 😴 lol 😉 😴
    Then I was sent harassing messages and when I went to send a message back I was on their ignor list. So I put them on my ignor list.
    Then about a week later they were sending me these uneven clan challenges again. So I just deleated them. Then one of our clan members in our clan that is in their clan also messages me asking me why I keep turning down Amsterdams clan challenges and that their clan leader would like to know why. So I told him why. Our mutual clan member confronted their clan leader about this and all the sudden their clan leader had complete amnesia. 🙄 And we didn't even meet face to face yet. Amazing to say the least.😵
    Other than that I think the idea is a good one.
  7. Amsterdam
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 18:36
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    😉 AMEN to that.
    Had one ourselfs a couple weeks ago. I turned down the challenge and was messaged asking me why, and so I told them why, I was called a few names, and
    Other than that I think the idea is a good one.
    Dear King,

A couple of weeks ago? Let's say that you and I had a situation many months ago!
    Four your and everybody's information, I never call people names out of the blue.. but happy to discuss of course..
    Point of this thread seems to be of our mutual interest: to come to a fair challenge.. thanks for supporting that!
  8. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 20:411 edit
    Originally posted by Amsterdamn
    Dear King,

A couple of weeks ago? Let's say that you and I had a situation many months ago!
    Four your and everybody's information, I never call people names out of the blue.. but happy to discuss of course..
    Point of this thread seems to be of our mutual interest: to come to a fair challenge.. thanks for supporting that!
    You need to send me some of that weed you've been smokin. It's been maybe a month ago. And you called me names and wanted to meet me face to face because, I told you your clan challenges were all favored in your clans favor and were bogis and not to bother me with them anymore until you can send a fair challenge or accept a fair bounce back to ya, and you didn't like that.
    So unless you have some past resentment against me from some past life or another account or something, yes let's discuss it since you're so happy to.

And For your information, I or any other clan leaders don't owe you any explanations on why we don't accept your bogis clan challenges. so quit sending out pm's to every clan that turns them down like they are in trouble for doing so, and need to answer to you. You don't run crap here at RHP, or anywere else. even thow you think you do.
    So if you don't like that Go start your own chess site Dear Amsterdamn.
    As far as this thread, We have some points of mutual interest and yes I agree with the idea you brought up. And you're welcome for the support on that.
    But I also think English Tal and some others have some very good points also. So I don't know if your idea is the complete answer for dealing with clan leaders like you. And from the clan challenges I've recieved from you so far, I just find it completely ironic that you of all clan leaders started this thread. unbelieveable!!! 🙄 😵
  9. Standard memberEnglish Tal
    Phoneless
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 20:451 edit
    Amsterdamn,
    It appears that this thread is coming to a natural conclusion, with the weight of opinion on your side. So, for what it's worth I'll chip in with my (probably) last comment on the matter.

Summary: I don't agree, as you know, because I and several other posters here feel that it is the role of a leader to lead.. and if he can give his clan the advantage whilst offering, or accepting a reasonable challenge, then that is his prerogative and should remain so. Sanitisation and ease of use is nowadays the way of the world, and bucking this trend is becoming more difficult as time goes by. If this trend continues much further, then anyone could choose to become a clan leader and become expert almost immediately due to the very narrow options available.

Rant over.

I really do admire the work and perseverance that you have put into this subject, and if ever it comes to fruition, it wouldn't be the end of the world, ... I would simply have to work harder than ever before to find an 'edge' within the challenge. Thankyou for trying to make my role as a leader even more difficult, one could say.......!!
  10. Amsterdam
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 21:58
    Hi English Tal,

You're right, all's been said by everybody who had a opinion about it I guess.. I've asked Russ/Chris to have a look at this thread and draw up a conclusion..

What I do agree on most on what you say is "it is the role of a leader to lead.. and if he can give his clan the advantage whilst offering, or accepting a reasonable challenge, then that is his prerogative and should remain so."

Therefore I already adjusted my opinion somewhere in the thread: totally hide any rating of the players so that leaders are forced to look into it with more care..

But okay.. we can discuss for many more days I guess 🙂 let the site administrators decide from here 🙂
  11. Amsterdam
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 22:09
    And KingDavid403, just PM me, so we can discuss and leave this to the past then..
  12. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 22:17
    Originally posted by Amsterdamn
    And [b]KingDavid403, just PM me, so we can discuss and leave this to the past then..[/b]
    sounds good.
  13. Amsterdam
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 12:26
    *bump*

18 rec's but no response from the site admins yet..
  14. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 20:28
    19 recs

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree