1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 12:52
    in the current clan league pairing system the best two players in each team are automatically paired against each other regardless of where they are placed in the team list, same with the second best, third best etc.

i'm not sure if this is the case in obt chess leagues but in other sporting leagues both team captains will list their player from 1-4 or whatever and they will be played in that order, 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2 etc regardless of handicap or rating.

i would like this to be the case in the rhp leagues. team games are also about tactic as well as good play but under the current system there is no opportunity for tactics to come into play.

i theory you could have a 1900 drop down to 1600 and be placed below a 1700 when the league starts, the 1700 will get creamed by 2000 players and pick up less points than the 1900 would've had a chance to.

you've also got the possibility of the team captain thinking his 1700 will have a better chance of picking up points against the higher rated players than his 1800 but can't change the 1800 playing against the higher rated players.

there would also be the chance of the captain of placing his worst player against the top player in the other clans in the hope that the rest of his team will have a better chance of winning for his team.

the list of tactical changes the captain could make is endless.
  2. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 19:37
    As far as I know, as of the commencement of the recent 7/14 league in November, players are now assigned to boards in the order specified by the clan leader rather than being automatically sorted by rating.

I found this out accidentally when our 1st and 2nd boards came out the way I entered them and not, as I expected, in rating order.

If the admins are reading this, it'd be great if you could post here and confirm the change.
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '09 06:06
    Originally posted by Ichibanov
    As far as I know, as of the commencement of the recent 7/14 league in November, players are now assigned to boards in the order specified by the clan leader rather than being automatically sorted by rating.

I found this out accidentally when our 1st and 2nd boards came out the way I entered them and not, as I expected, in rating order.

If the admins are reading this, it'd be great if you could post here and confirm the change.
    no, i'm playing in the 7/14 league this year and some of the players that i'm playing against were not listed third in their team but i ended up playing them anyway because of their rating.

i saw a 1900 listed 6th in a team but he/she ended up playing in the number 2 or 3 spot.
  4. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    17 Jan '09 12:14
    Originally posted by trev33
    in the current clan league pairing system the best two players in each team are automatically paired against each other regardless of where they are placed in the team list, same with the second best, third best etc.

i'm not sure if this is the case in obt chess leagues but in other sporting leagues both team captains will list their player from 1-4 or wh ...[text shortened]... of winning for his team.

the list of tactical changes the captain could make is endless.
    Some clans are not blessed with a league team with 6 players all 2000+ and therefore they have to use tatics in order to improve the odds.
    In every team sport they pick the team and positions to be played by that team with an eye on the opposition likely team & tatics. Personally I prefer it that way 😛
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '09 12:21
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Some clans are not blessed with a league team with 6 players all 2000+ and therefore they have to use tatics in order to improve the odds.
    In every team sport they pick the team and positions to be played by that team with an eye on the opposition likely team & tatics. Personally I prefer it that way 😛
    so do i which is why i'm saying the leagues have to be changed here. the way it is now there's no tactics involved.
  6. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 21:27
    Originally posted by trev33
    no, i'm playing in the 7/14 league this year and some of the players that i'm playing against were not listed third in their team but i ended up playing them anyway because of their rating.

i saw a 1900 listed 6th in a team but he/she ended up playing in the number 2 or 3 spot.
    Yeah, I don't know what I was looking at. I had myself seeded second for our team for the 7 day league, but I am playing many #1 boards. So matchups are still being assigned according to start-time rating and not clan leader ordering.

This definitely needs to be fixed. Clan leaders know the relative strengths of their players. It sucks to have an unfortunate ratings dip drop a player in the board order.

Can we get this fixed before the upcoming 1 and 3 day leagues begin?
  7. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 18:45
    Just to update, I've been told this is simply not going to happen.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree