Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    04 Dec '09 23:21
    Hey Russ, can we have drag-n-drop piece movement??
  2. 05 Dec '09 01:45
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Hey Russ, can we have drag-n-drop piece movement??
    Another game site adopted drag and drop. Supposedly click move would still work, but it doesn't for me.

    What if any advantage does drag and drop have over click move? To me click move seems more positive.
  3. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    05 Dec '09 07:31
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    Another game site adopted drag and drop. Supposedly click move would still work, but it doesn't for me.

    What if any advantage does drag and drop have over click move? To me click move seems more positive.
    Every other piece of chess software I own, and practically every other chess website I visit, uses drag/drop movement.

    Benefit: standardization.
    Drawbacks: none, if users have both options.
  4. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    06 Dec '09 00:10
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Every other piece of chess software I own, and practically every other chess website I visit, uses drag/drop movement.

    Benefit: standardization.
    Drawbacks: none, if users have both options.
    There is standardization now. It's called Click Move.

    Every other piece of chess software I own, and practically every other chess website I visit, uses click movement.

    I say add drag-and-drop if you must, but please don't sacrifice the standard Click Move.
  5. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    06 Dec '09 03:27
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    There is standardization now. It's called Click Move.

    Every other piece of chess software I own, and practically every other chess website I visit, uses click movement.

    I say add drag-and-drop if you must, but please don't sacrifice the standard Click Move.
    Give me me one example, other than RHP, that offers click move but DOESN'T offer drag and drop.

    [Most progs use drag and drop by DEFAULT even if they support click-move...]
  6. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    06 Dec '09 04:59
    Drag and drop risks a mouse drop on the wrong square. So, if you do drag and drop, you'll end up needing a confirmation click anyway. It will be the same number of clicks in the end.
  7. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    06 Dec '09 16:58
    Originally posted by coquette
    Drag and drop risks a mouse drop on the wrong square. So, if you do drag and drop, you'll end up needing a confirmation click anyway. It will be the same number of clicks in the end.
    No - if you make the wrong move, just change it before hitting 'submit' - no extra clicks needed.

    [There is also 'risk' of clicking on the wrong square with click move - sheesh ]
  8. 06 Dec '09 17:43
    There is also this blitz site that supports both drag&drop AND click-click simultaneously, which is about as annoying as can get. I.e. you castle e8-g8, and instead it will happily play Rh8-f8 for you
  9. 06 Dec '09 20:57
    As long as I can use my cell phone browser, then I'm happy.
    But I'm not sure I can drag'n'drop mith that...
  10. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    07 Dec '09 02:33
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    There is also this blitz site that supports both drag&drop AND click-click simultaneously, which is about as annoying as can get. I.e. you castle e8-g8, and instead it will happily play Rh8-f8 for you
    that's not becuz of dual support - just crappy programming
  11. Standard member Mctayto
    Highlander
    08 Dec '09 20:23
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Hey Russ, can we have drag-n-drop piece movement??
    Err [b]NO
  12. 08 Dec '09 20:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    that's not becuz of dual support - just crappy programming
    Yeah, the worst thing is it supports the following way of moving e2-e4:

    Click on e4
    then on e2

  13. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    08 Dec '09 21:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Err [b]NO[/b]
    I wasn't asking you.
  14. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    08 Dec '09 21:05
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Yeah, the worst thing is it supports the following way of moving e2-e4:

    Click on e4
    then on e2

    LOL...why not, it makes about as much sense as the 'normal' click moves....
  15. Standard member Mctayto
    Highlander
    09 Dec '09 00:41
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I wasn't asking you.
    Like I give a fiddlers for your opinion