Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 06 Sep '06 20:45
    Rubbish, racist, and bad for business.
  2. Subscriber huckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    06 Sep '06 20:49
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Rubbish, racist, and bad for business.
    But then all the dumb Bigots would move on to the General.

    Why not just ban these nutjobs like they should be doing ?
  3. 06 Sep '06 20:49
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Rubbish, racist, and bad for business.
    But don't you think it's better to keep 'em all together in one place, rather than contaminating the other forums?
  4. 06 Sep '06 20:55
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    But then all the dumb Bigots would move on to the General.

    Why not just ban these nutjobs like they should be doing ?
    Yup, that's the choice.

    Personally, if there not going to be banned, I'd close the debates forum. It's bad for business. If they all moved over to another forum, and did the same, I'd close that too.
  5. Subscriber huckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    06 Sep '06 20:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Yup, that's the choice.

    Personally, if there not going to be banned, I'd close the debates forum. It's bad for business. If they all moved over to another forum, and did the same, I'd close that too.
    You're right, of course, but i don't think threads like "why aren't there gay retards" in the General help much either. . .maybe i'm getting too old.
  6. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    07 Sep '06 12:18
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    You're right, of course, but i don't think threads like "why aren't there gay retards" in the General help much either. . .maybe i'm getting too old.
    1 rec, 0 alerts on that thread. Stupid!

    Debates and Meet Opponents should both be shut down. One is for racists, the other is for stalkers. They both sicken me.

    P-
  7. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    07 Sep '06 12:49
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    1 rec, 0 alerts on that thread. Stupid!

    Debates and Meet Opponents should both be shut down. One is for racists, the other is for stalkers. They both sicken me.

    P-
    AS posted above, it wouldn't solve the problem, just move it. The end result then would be 1 of:

    1) Stricter moderation in remaining forums to keep subjects to forum topic (although how this applies to general who knows?)

    2) all forums close
  8. Subscriber huckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    07 Sep '06 12:50
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    1 rec, 0 alerts on that thread. Stupid!

    Debates and Meet Opponents should both be shut down. One is for racists, the other is for stalkers. They both sicken me.

    P-
    You told me yourself, one alert does not a thread remove. . . .What's the point ?
  9. Standard member PocketKings
    Banned from edits
    07 Sep '06 13:28
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Rubbish, racist, and bad for business.
    it should be replaced by a sports forum
  10. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    07 Sep '06 14:21
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    You told me yourself, one alert does not a thread remove. . . .What's the point ?
    I didn't say one alert would remove it... I'm saying no one alerted it.

    If you go fishing and you don't catch anything, do you give up or keep casting?

    Alerts do work if people use them, seems not many people do.

    P-
  11. Standard member PocketKings
    Banned from edits
    07 Sep '06 14:26
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I didn't say one alert would remove it... I'm saying no one alerted it.

    If you go fishing and you don't catch anything, do you give up or keep casting?

    Alerts do work if people use them, seems not many people do.

    P-
    It depends on the time of day, what I'm fishing for and who I'm with. If I'm not catching anything though I'll take a nice long break to get nice and buzzed. good analogy though
  12. Subscriber huckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    07 Sep '06 14:39 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I didn't say one alert would remove it... I'm saying no one alerted it.

    If you go fishing and you don't catch anything, do you give up or keep casting?

    Alerts do work if people use them, seems not many people do.

    P-
    What is the point of alerting something, if nothing gets done ?
  13. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    07 Sep '06 14:47
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    What is the point of alerting something, if nothing gets done ?
    Near 75 posts have been hidden in the past 3 days. You shouldn't make claims about things you don't have any info about.

    P-
  14. Subscriber huckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    07 Sep '06 14:58
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Near 75 posts have been hidden in the past 3 days. You shouldn't make claims about things you don't have any info about.

    P-
    ok, instead i'll ask a question. How many posts get deleted after on alert ?


    The point is , you told me that you don't delete posts because of one alert. If i had alerted that particular thread, i would've been the sole alert.
    Would you've deleted it ?
  15. Standard member Redmike
    Godless Commie
    07 Sep '06 15:00
    I think a partial (not total) solution comes back to the old problem of anybody being able to sgin up as a non-subscriber and immediately having the right to post in the forums (fora).

    I think we need to have some means of preventing this - either a number of games/moves being a requirement before you get posting rights, or just a set of subsciber-only forums.

    Also, some kind of semi-automated ban would calm some people down. What I mean is that, if a user has a certain number of alerts, they get a 1-day ban. We'd need to prevent people just using alerts to bully people they didn't agree with though. But otherwise there is no incentive for people to behave themselves, if the worst that happens is that their post gets zapped.