1. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 02:04
    Have computers of varying strengths and move frequencies available for those that want to play them, like on ICC. Rated or unrated, whichever is preferred.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 15:041 edit
    Originally posted by randolph
    Have computers of varying strengths and move frequencies available for those that want to play them, like on ICC. Rated or unrated, whichever is preferred.
    What are you asking? There is NO (ZERO) "NONE" computer chess played here at RHP.

Rated or unrated.

XERO.

Do not use engines for any games at RHP, or your service will be terminated.

If people are to play them, set it up as a CC game through the PM message service, not as a game at RHP in any form.

P-
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 16:46
    I think that the suggestion that computer opponents be made available for the site members to play against. Nothing to do with using computer engines to aid your play against other humans.

Cheating on the brain, perhaps?
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 17:31
    Originally posted by IceWalkWithMe
    I think that the suggestion that computer opponents be made available for the site members to play against. Nothing to do with using computer engines to aid your play against other humans.

Cheating on the brain, perhaps?
    This is something I am forwarding from Russ the admin when I falsely assumed you could use a computer in an unrated game.

It's something the admins don't want, and just forwarding the info told to me when I was wrong on the subject.

P-
  5. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 17:591 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    What are you asking? There is NO (ZERO) "NONE" computer chess played here at RHP.

Rated or unrated.

XERO.

Do not use engines for any games at RHP, or your service will be terminated.

If people are to play them, set it up as a CC game through the PM message service, not as a game at RHP in any form.

P-
    No! I was suggesting that RHP have several computers that are constantly online for people to play and aren't influenced by any human. I haven't and won't ever want subscribers to be allowed to play with the help of computers.

Edit: I should make myself more clear. I am suggesting that when one opens up the "Open Invites" page, there should be a number of "players" named things such as House-1, House-2 etc., under a special listing titled Computers. When you check their profiles, it would tell you that they are computers and the frequency of their moving.
  6. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 18:39
    Could be wrong, but I think I remember someone saying that there was just such a device on rhp yonks ago which was removed for the reasons Phlabibit posted above.
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 18:42
    Originally posted by Lukerik
    Could be wrong, but I think I remember someone saying that there was just such a device on rhp yonks ago which was removed for the reasons Phlabibit posted above.
    RHP is home of Rival Chess Engine, though I don't think there was ever an option to play it. If there was, it was back before 2004.

P-
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 19:51
    Originally posted by randolph
    No! I was suggesting that RHP have several computers that are constantly online for people to play and aren't influenced by any human. I haven't and won't ever want subscribers to be allowed to play with the help of computers.

Edit: I should make myself more clear. I am suggesting that when one opens up the "Open Invites" page, there should be a number o ...[text shortened]... ir profiles, it would tell you that they are computers and the frequency of their moving.
    As Phlab has mentioned, to avoid ANY confusion, Russ has declared RHP a computer free zone.

No non-rated engine games, nor engine servers to play against.

There are other sites where you can play against an engine, or you can purchase your own, or download one of the free engines, and just take your time over your moves.

D
  9. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    09 Sep '08 18:35
    I got hold of a copy of Battle Chess for when I want to play a computer. I haven't beaten even the easiest level yet as I can't resist taking pieces to see how they die 😛
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Sep '08 18:381 edit
    Originally posted by Lukerik
    I got hold of a copy of Battle Chess for when I want to play a computer. I haven't beaten even the easiest level yet as I can't resist taking pieces to see how they die 😛
    Ha! I hear ya.

Winboard is a nice tool to have, and you can get several engines to use with it.

It's all free, just search for Winboard and you should get to Tim Mann's page.

Shut the engine off, and it's a great tool for reviewing tough situations in an RHP game with an easy way to go forward and back using the arrows.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree