1. e1
    Moves
    15 Aug '07 17:12
    It would be nice to have the name of the country pop up when you hover your mouse over a flag. It would be pretty easy with adding an alt to the image tag.
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '07 17:36

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '07 18:46
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Right, but it would be nice to others too, especially when the coding job is not too complex.
  4. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '07 09:42

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    16 Aug '07 15:09
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Right, but it would be nice to others too, especially when the coding job is not too complex.
    Of course, we can't comment on the coding difficulty as we haven't seen the source code to RHP. However, the other issue to consider is performance.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '07 16:22
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    Of course, we can't comment on the coding difficulty as we haven't seen the source code to RHP. However, the other issue to consider is performance.
    I don't think it is so hard after all. I don't think there will be any performance problems either.

The information is there already. It's only to insert the alt-tag with the appropriate country name.

BTW - keep on with your good work with your scripts!
  7. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    17 Aug '07 13:25
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I don't think it is so hard after all. I don't think there will be any performance problems either.

The information is there already. It's only to insert the alt-tag with the appropriate country name.

BTW - keep on with your good work with your scripts!
    It's difficult to say without seeing the code how hard it is. It's even harder to predict the performance especially without knowing the data structures or the database design behind it.

The information might be there but is it hardcoded into the PHP page? Is it in a database table? How do you do the lookup? Does this require an extra join on the database? Hacking it into the alt attribute of the image tag is one thing but how should the data be stored in the PHP structure?

When I incorporated the data into the Greasemonkey script and the RHP extension, I had to balance performance on the external server and memory usage in Firefox. Do you preload all of the flag data? Do you hardcode it into the script? Do you load the data on demand?

I think that there are many issues that you have to think about if you want the codebase to remain stable and scalable.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Aug '07 14:34
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    It's difficult to say without seeing the code how hard it is. It's even harder to predict the performance especially without knowing the data structures or the database design behind it.

The information might be there but is it hardcoded into the PHP page? Is it in a database table? How do you do the lookup? Does this require an extra join on the da ...[text shortened]... ny issues that you have to think about if you want the codebase to remain stable and scalable.
    You know more than I do, yet none of us know for sure.
    The only one who certainly know is Russ and Chris.
    If they deliver the alt code with country names, then it's fine, but anyway, I can live without it. I just love this site, with or without!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree