1. Standard memberjonbeckett73
    jonbeckett73
    Marlow, Bucks, UK
    Moves
    23 Mar '05 15:051 edit
    Why are members of the site not allowed to create Tournaments?

Is it just down to the design of the site that it was either never finished, or it's too complex to build?
  2. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    23 Mar '05 16:32
    Too many tournaments to fill them all up (since everyone will be chief of a self-titled tournament), too many games causing too big a stress on the server(s), not exclusive enough due to 100's of tournaments starting each day, silly banden tournaments like one for members with 0-100 ratings, et cetera.
  3. Standard memberjonbeckett73
    jonbeckett73
    Marlow, Bucks, UK
    Moves
    23 Mar '05 21:21
    I don't want to cause any arguments, but I can't see how multiple tournaments can cause *that* much stress unless the site is written incredibly strangely. Mind you - I haven't actually written a site like this (yet), so shouldn't really comment 🙂

Is the whole thing running on one server then? I would have imagined it would be pretty easy to migrate it to an apache cluster and a MySQL cluster to scale it up - but then there are always tricks like loading MySQL into memory and running the Zend optimiser/cache/compiler doobries to really make it shift...

I'll stop coming up with ideas - I know from my own work how annoying it is 🙂
  4. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 00:30
    I think one of the biggest things, would be that winning a tournament would not have as much prestige if just anyone could create a tournament..

Unless there were two separate sections.. user created tourneys, and system created.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree