1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 20:57
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Fair enough. The problem with a voluntary check-box, however, is that if someone DOES use databases but chooses NOT to check the box, opponents may be misled.

I guess at your level databases are less important, but they could add a couple of hundreds points at 1200 level simply by preventing blunders in the opening.

Most people on this site operate at or around that level.
    Everybody at the high levels uses databases; why should I put in my profile that I follow the rules? You don't HAVE to castle or move your pawn two spaces on its first move, etc. etc.; you may place whatever handicaps on yourself you choose. However, I wouldn't bother to hit a check box on whether I use books and databases as it's really none of anybody's business. If you don't want to play against those using books and databases, you'll have to find a site that doesn't allow them (I don't know of any CORRESPONDENCE site that doesn't allow them).
  2. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 21:00
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    (I don't know of any CORRESPONDENCE site that doesn't allow them).
    .....and it would be a stupid thing indeed : databases are a great learning tool for the player who wishes to improve.
  3. Standard memberSanta Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 21:19
    Originally posted by Ravello
    .....and it would be a stupid thing indeed : databases are a great learning tool for the player who wishes to improve.
    YES AND SO ARE ENGINES!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 21:27
    Originally posted by Santa Drummer
    YES AND SO ARE ENGINES!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Databases research has very little to do with engines........
  5. Standard membercelticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    Eastbourne
    Moves
    31 Dec '05 01:12
    i think its a great idea having volintary tick boxes.

But in my case.

I use an opening database on average. about once a month.the ticked box would be misleading.
  6. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    31 Dec '05 03:14
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    Instead of having a label next to their name (which would give the false impression that they had done something wrong), a better idea would be to have a couple of columns added to a player's profile page.

For instance, next to [b]'Move Frequency'
    have check boxes for 'Opening Books' and 'Databases'.

Anyone using books or database ...[text shortened]... ourtesy to their opponents, in the same way that people indicate how regularly they move.[/b]
    i like this ...
  7. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '05 09:17
    Originally posted by flexmore
    i like this ...
    But, if voluntary, isn't it a bit of a fudge?

Either people should be obliged to declare database and book use, or they should not.

If they should, everyone should tick the boxes relevant to them.

And if they should not, why bother? You might as well leave the system as it is and assume everyone uses a database and books.
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '05 10:541 edit
    It would have to be a voluntary thing as it is unenforcible anyway. And as said, it would all be a matter of trust. I must say I had no idea that the amount of people on here were using them was as high as it seems to be...amazing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree