1. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 11:56
    just throwing the idea out here ....

how about:

players who use databases have a D next to their name and are distiguished from those of us who just play as it surprises us ...
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 11:59
    I agree, good idea.
  3. Standard memberjay D
    Jay D
    London
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 12:06
    hey just wanted to clarify what you mean by database...it that the same as an opening book or ......

my understanding of databases if playing with a computer assisting you, thought u cldnt do that....

bit confused....but what would be difference if someone is playing with an opening book/database...I dont have one but mayeb it doesnt affect my level of rating...
  4. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 12:231 edit
    Originally posted by flexmore
    just throwing the idea out here ....

how about:

players who use databases have a D next to their name and are distiguished from those of us who just play as it surprises us ...
    Instead of having a label next to their name (which would give the false impression that they had done something wrong), a better idea would be to have a couple of columns added to a player's profile page.

For instance, next to 'Move Frequency' have check boxes for 'Opening Books' and 'Databases'.

Anyone using books or databases would just tick these boxes as a courtesy to their opponents, in the same way that people indicate how regularly they move.
  5. Subscriberdaniv
    Daniel
    Bucharest
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 12:56
    personally I thought that players who use databases are automatically degraded from their rights (points)..
  6. Subscriberdaniv
    Daniel
    Bucharest
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 12:56
    personally I thought that players who use databases are automatically degraded from their rights (points)..
  7. Standard memberjay D
    Jay D
    London
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 13:11
    shldnt be that way.....I guess have a tick box for opening books as they are not that bad, only because its actually application of theory...

where as an actual "database" will calculate which is the most successful move...which is just not thinking for yourself....
  8. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeĀ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 14:17
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    Instead of having a label next to their name (which would give the false impression that they had done something wrong), a better idea would be to have a couple of columns added to a player's profile page.

For instance, next to [b]'Move Frequency'
    have check boxes for 'Opening Books' and 'Databases'.

Anyone using books or database ...[text shortened]... ourtesy to their opponents, in the same way that people indicate how regularly they move.[/b]
    This is a much better idea Mr.Tebb.
  9. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeĀ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 14:18
    Originally posted by daniv
    .....and why should they?
  10. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 16:591 edit
    Originally posted by Ravello
    This is a much better idea Mr.Tebb.
    Oh, now it's a good idea...

Thread 28616
  11. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 18:09
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Oh, now it's a good idea...

Thread 28616
    Ok, you proposed a similar idea back in August. The difference is that you wanted it to be a "Mandatory field" in everyone's profiles. Whereas I think it should be voluntary.
  12. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 18:16
    Ok, you proposed a similar idea back in August. The difference is that you wanted it to be a [b]"Mandatory field" in everyone's profiles. Whereas I think it should be voluntary.[/b]
    But isn't that roughly the situation we have at the moment? People choose to put it in their profile or not.

I've no doubt that since starting to use a database my openings have improved greatly; that, along with not playing at work, has probably put 100 points on the rating I expected to achieve.

I had equally little doubt that many others who do not declare they are using databases are doing so.

The DB user / non DB user is important enough to warrant a mandatory field, in my opinion.
  13. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 18:311 edit
    But isn't that roughly the situation we have at the moment? People choose to put it in their profile or not.

I've no doubt that since starting to use a database my openings have improved greatly; that, along with not playing at work, has probably put 100 points on the rating I expected to achieve.

I had equally little doubt that many others who do n ...[text shortened]...

The DB user / non DB user is important enough to warrant a mandatory field, in my opinion.
    I don't think it's so important an issue, that this sort of information needs to be coerced from people. Everyone shoud just assume that their opponents are using books and databases, unless they indicate otherwise. At the end of the day, as long as people abide by the rules, they can do whatever they like.
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 18:35

I had equally little doubt that many others who do n ...[text shortened]...

I don't get it.

By agreeing to the TOS when you join the site, you agree that you or your opponents may use opening books/databases.

What further clarification is required?

D
  15. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 20:012 edits
    I don't think it's so important an issue, that this sort of information needs to be coerced from people. Everyone shoud just assume that their opponents are using books and databases, unless they indicate otherwise. At the end of the day, as long as people abide by the rules, they can do whatever they like.
    Fair enough. The problem with a voluntary check-box, however, is that if someone DOES use databases but chooses NOT to check the box, opponents may be misled.

I guess at your level databases are less important, but they could add a couple of hundreds points at 1200 level simply by preventing blunders in the opening.

Most people on this site operate at or around that level.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree