1. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 20:33
    Any chance of automatic daylight saving time adjustments?

Would be a useful feature, if it is not difficult to do...
  2. ALG
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 20:44
    Originally posted by Hindstein

automatic daylight saving time? What do you mean?
  3. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 23:08
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    automatic daylight saving time? What do you mean?
    In your settings you can select your timezone. If you live in a country that uses Daylight Saving Time, then clocks get adjusted (usually 1 hour) in winter to allow for better daylight in the mornings.

Most computers adjust clocks automatically nowadays but on this site, you need to manually change your timezone every 6 months - although it is not the timezone that changes.

Given that this is an English site, I thought that the implementation of automatic daylight saving time would be a given...
  4. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 23:39

I'm with you on this. It's bad enough trying to remember to set the kitchen clock - let alone working out which web sites need a time change. You should be able to set your time zone and state if you want daylight savings to apply. The timing algorithms for this are not rocket science.

It's quite confusing when you look at the post times and they are all an hour off - I nearly took a two hour lunch break toady (luckily I noticed the mistake and took the normal three instead).
  5. ALG
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 07:53
    In your settings you can select your timezone. If you live in a country that uses Daylight Saving Time, then clocks get adjusted (usually 1 hour) in winter to allow for better daylight in the mornings.

Most computers adjust clocks automatically nowadays but on this site, you need to manually change your timezone every 6 months - although it is not the ...[text shortened]... sh site, I thought that the implementation of automatic daylight saving time would be a given...
    ooooooooo zomertijd!

Do you mean one hour extra in the summers?
    This is a geat idea but not every country uses 'Daylight Saving Time', so you should be able to turn it off
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 09:39
    ooooooooo zomertijd!

Do you mean one hour extra in the summers?
    This is a geat idea but not every country uses 'Daylight Saving Time', so you should be able to turn it off
    Does the 'Daylight Saving Time' start and end the same day in every country in the world using it?

How about countries in the southern hemisphere? Do they have something similar to the 'Daylight Saving Time', but during other dates?
  7. Dublin
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 10:44
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Does the 'Daylight Saving Time' start and end the same day in every country in the world using it?

How about countries in the southern hemisphere? Do they have something similar to the 'Daylight Saving Time', but during other dates?
    America's daylight saving hasn't started yet afaik while it was last weekend in Europe. Australia has daylight savings the same weekend as Europe, I think, but it goes the other way because it's going into summer there now.
  8. ALG
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 10:53
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I believe it doesn't. Perhaps Russ can set your clock by using the country flag, but then you have troubles with Rusland, par example
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 11:38
    I believe it doesn't. Perhaps Russ can set your clock by using the country flag, but then you have troubles with Rusland, par example
    I supposed so. To ask Russ to take care of every country's dates for Daylight Saving Time is not very nice.

Two times a year we set and reset the daylight saving time. It's not of a burden, i think.

Russ, go and do better things than this.
  10. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 14:461 edit
    How about in Hokkaido, where Daylight Saving is optional?

Don't ask me why, this is Japan...

EDIT: Just to clarify how that works. You can go to work an hour earlier every day, but the finishing time is the same.
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 22:48

I [still] agree it should be automatic.

Thread 65760
  12. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 23:08
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I [still] agree it should be automatic.

Thread 65760
    This is handled by most OS's. The server should be in UTC (essentially the same as GMT and no DS). It's then simply* a matter of converting the time shown to the correct timezone (based on user settings) and applying DS as needed (again based on user settings).

Simple innit.

*The algorithm is not that complicated (there are a finite number of timezones), it's getting it applied to the dates that are shown on the site that would be the tricky part - depending on how this is implemented, this could be very trivial ... or "a real ball-ache" (as always with software - the devil is in the detail).
  13. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 02:29
    Originally posted by orangutan
    This is handled by most OS's.
    Yeah - Windows does it automatically. It used to tell you/ask you if the change was required in Windows98, but now it just does it. As a result it must be just a case of noting the pattern of dates per timezone.

I was thinking of a tick box in "My Timezone Settings" after you select your timezone, to tick if you want to "allow for Daylight Saving" - the computer can do all the rest....
  14. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 02:30
    Originally posted by c99ux
    EDIT: Just to clarify how that works. You can go to work an hour earlier every day, but the finishing time is the same.
    He he - shame it is not the other way round....
  15. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 12:27
    Actually I quite like that the site has just the GMT. No fuss for anybody which I undersatnd since you can transform by a simple addition or subtraction what the time means.

But I could understand and support the suggestion to have a GMT clock somewhere on the screen, so that people know what the bell has tolled.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree