1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 14:19
    So new users need to be able to post in the forums immediately. I think everybody can accept that.

But, in general, the really serious spammers are newly created accounts, generally with very few moves.

Instead of hurting all new users to prevent the abuse of the minority, how about this for an idea?

If a person has under some number of moves (say, for example, under 50) and gets some number of posts alerted (say 10) by 5 different people in 1 day, then all that user's posts are removed pending moderation by a mod, and his posting rights are revoked. All the numbers above are obviously open to more thought and refinement.

I was alerting today's troll's posts, but ran out of steam after about 10.

D
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 15:081 edit
    Good idea.

I was thinking about something similar a while ago when 7ate9, Cartan etc. started sprouting up like vile little mushrooms.

It may need some refinement, but the idea is sound.
  3. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 15:59
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    So new users need to be able to post in the forums immediately. I think everybody can accept that.

But, in general, the really serious spammers are newly created accounts, generally with very few moves.

Instead of hurting all new users to prevent the abuse of the minority, how about this for an idea?

If a person has under some number of moves (say ...[text shortened]... efinement.

D
    If it's feasible, that's a good idea. Anyone who acts like that idiot did this morning must be removed. He openly threatens to return too, so he must be dealt with.
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 16:20

D
    You need to get a little fitter then 😛
  5. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 16:22

If a person has under some number of moves (say ...[text shortened]... efinement.

D
    Good idea. Too bad there's not a filter that could limit the under-50s to posting in the Help and Chess forums unless they sub.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 16:31

D
    a very good idea.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 16:34
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Good idea. Too bad there's not a filter that could limit the under-50s to posting in the Help and Chess forums unless they sub.
    Why not general, posers and puzzles, etc? Russ would like non-subs to have access to the forums, and I think it makes good businesss sense.

Also, if you limit a new non-sub to help and Only Chess, then what is to stop them spamming those forums up?

I think my solution solves the problem, while also taking into account the many good new non-subs.

D
  8. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 17:07

D
    I think the ban is not efficient enough. They just return with new username and sake for revenge. Are administrators banning just their accounts or the whole IP adress ? Because with IP bans they shouldn't be able to register from the same PC ever again.. I am not expert about computers but wouldn't that do the trick ?
  9. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 17:09
    Originally posted by wormwood
    a very good idea.
    Yes but that would encourage them to play engine games or create multiple accounts before they would be able to post, just to kill time while waiting.
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 17:53

D
    I agree with this idea. Though i think a 100 move limit would be better. Obviously the help forum should be made available immediately for obvious reasons. 😉
  11. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 18:06
    i think the rec is good. tweak the numbers, test how it goes, but it should work fine.
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 18:36
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    I think the ban is not efficient enough. They just return with new username and sake for revenge. Are administrators banning just their accounts or the whole IP adress ? Because with IP bans they shouldn't be able to register from the same PC ever again.. I am not expert about computers but wouldn't that do the trick ?
    Not really, it doesn't take much effort to set up a new account, but making a nominal amount of moves makes it far more time consuming to spam the forums. The idiot who messed up the forums this morning was obviously going out of his way to be a pr;ck! I don't think new users will be that put off by this rule if it is explained clearly when they sign up.
  13. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 18:39
    actually, i missed out on the spammer this morning. i guess i'm lucky.
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 18:41
    Originally posted by coquette
    actually, i missed out on the spammer this morning. i guess i'm lucky.
    It was incredible, the guy managed to fill 3 whole pages (the pages that lsit the threads!) with utter rubbish. Why, i have no idea, but it ruined the general forum for half a day! 😠
  15. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 18:43
    Then i was really really lucky! Sometimes i feel like a spammer for just tossing in a post or two like this! YIKES!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree