1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 08:00
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    The "confirm move" button already [b]is incorporated. I don't mind that, because mouseslips can be corrected. This ain't blitz, after all.

I like to analyze a bit before I move. So it's not just the one real move I'm making, but also the variations I calculate before moving. And I really hate click-move, enough where I've stopped ...[text shortened]... programs out there (Fritz, ChessBase, Chessmaster, Winboard, etc. etc.) that offer this option.[/b]
    So you just want it for the analyze function? But the analyze board function has no 'move' button. Is this what you're talking about.
    Surely just clicking on tiles is just as fast as drag and drop?

Hell, clicking on a tile against lifting a finger off the button. It takes the same bloody time!
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 17:031 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    So you just want it for the analyze function? But the analyze board function has no 'move' button. Is this what you're talking about.
    Surely just clicking on tiles is just as fast as drag and drop?

Hell, clicking on a tile against lifting a finger off the button. It takes the same bloody time!
    I want DND for the analyze board and main board.

Click-move is not as fast as DND, especially if you're used to DND. I'm so used to DND (all the other chess software that I have uses it) that having to use click-move is damned annoying.

Edit: Why would you care if DND is included as an option? If you like click-move, then you don't have to use the DND option.
  3. Standard memberWheely
    Instant Buzz
    C#minor
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 21:26
    Click-move requires 2 mouse clicks per move while Drag-n-drop only needs one. DND overall is faster than click-move because of this.

If your computer doesn't have the resources to handle a simple java applet, then you're living in the dark ages. I still see no harm in offering some performance options to those who [b]do
    have a little more capability.[/b]
    Well, if you consider an HP 8420 with 32 duel core PA RISC CPU's, 64 GB of RAM 16 Terabytes of SAN storage, 14 1 gigabit network cards with the total system costing over one million dollars "living in the dark ages" I HATE to think what machine you run RHP on. Perhaps bowmann is right, I should get home more.

However, disregarding the fact that you can't implement drag and drop using java script, I would still suggest that two clicks is less error prone and therefore faster than Drag and Drop. However, it is possible that I am a drag and drop retard being a unix freak of long standing. Does it really bother you THAT much that RHP isn't drag and drop or is it because you keep trying to drag things around as you're used to it on other sites. I know I keep doing two clicks on uChess and wondering why nothing much happens.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 23:07
    Originally posted by Wheely
    Well, if you consider an HP 8420 with 32 duel core PA RISC CPU's, 64 GB of RAM 16 Terabytes of SAN storage, 14 1 gigabit network cards with the total system costing over one million dollars "living in the dark ages" I HATE to think what machine you run RHP on. Perhaps bowmann is right, I should get home more.

However, disregarding the fact that you can ...[text shortened]... n other sites. I know I keep doing two clicks on uChess and wondering why nothing much happens.
    Jesus. What are you bitching about Java applets for if you've got a million-dollar system??

I've programmed in Java, but not Javascript. Nevertheless, I'm skeptical about your statement that DND can't be implemented in javascript. I'll bet there's a way.

I really do hate click-move. NONE of the other chess software or chess servers in my experience force me to use click move. Most of them are DND by default. RHP at least ought to offer DND as an option.
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    04 Aug '05 00:23
    Click-move is not enough when you're trying to do analysis of correspondence games. Try scrolling through a 10+ move variation quickly using click-move. Even if you can do this quickly, the problem is that most of the rest of the online chess world uses drag and drop, so you're potentially alienating a large part of the online chess co ...[text shortened]... drawing the board graphics, and you get to use a more powerful programming language than Flash.
    Is this a case of me, me, me? You have not moved since the 3rd July yet still see fit to make comments about how the site should go, even though you are not currenly participating in games. Surely being an active player would give more voice to your requests?

You don't like clicking, you don't like Flash but you do like DND so lets have that!

You managed to make 1650 move is the short time you were playing using the clicky method. Is it really that hard to play here because DND is not available on the site?

How much time per move are we looking at saving using DND.

1 hour, 1 minute, 1 second, 0.1 of a second? Is it really such a big deal?

I always thought that RHP had a fairly large base of players, as I thought they amounted to a fairly large slice of the online chess community and they have got by without DND being available.

If clicking is so 90's and DND is the way forward why are people not leaving the site in droves to play on sites that use DND?

Are you saying make DND available and everyone will flock here?

Life sucks.
    😉
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 Aug '05 03:231 edit
    Originally posted by adramforall
    {A truckload of idiocy - but I'll respond to it point by point...} -BDP
    You have not moved since the 3rd July yet still see fit to make comments about how the site should go, even though you are not currenly participating in games. Surely being an active player would give more voice to your requests?

I was an active player, but I stopped because I found another correspondence chess website that has a nicer playing interface, including DND. The competition won me over, which is a stronger statement than if I stayed and played despite my dissatisfaction.

You don't like clicking, you don't like Flash but you do like DND so lets have that!

Why not have a movement method that is widely used across many websites and software platforms?? And the other stuff doesn't have to go away. You click-movers still would have an option to use that method. Everybody wins!

You managed to make 1650 move is the short time you were playing using the clicky method. Is it really that hard to play here because DND is not available on the site?

So you are capable of noticing that I was an active player. Very good. Again, the competition gave me what I wanted, so I stopped playing here.

How much time per move are we looking at saving using DND.
    1 hour, 1 minute, 1 second, 0.1 of a second? Is it really such a big deal?

Too often with click-move, I have to attempt certain moves a few times before they come out right. So it's not just the seconds or minutes (if I want to look at alot of variations, it can easily be minutes of time lost), but the frustration of having to replay the same move over and over. I really do loathe click-move.

I always thought that RHP had a fairly large base of players, as I thought they amounted to a fairly large slice of the online chess community and they have got by without DND being available.

Funny, I thought that when a site included a "Site Ideas" forum, it implied that they were interested in soliciting suggestions to make the site better. In other words, the focus is on getting better, and not just 'getting by'.

If clicking is so 90's and DND is the way forward why are people not leaving the site in droves to play on sites that use DND?
    Are you saying make DND available and everyone will flock here?

I don't think people will leave in droves, but that's not really the point. The point is that having a DND option adds value to the site without affecting those who prefer click move. Adding DND is a good feature to offer potential users, and it would indeed attract players to the site.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree