Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 03 Jul '10 12:41
    i think i saw this suggestion somewhere but i couldn't find it. What is the reason it is not available? Seems like it would be simple to implement.
  2. 05 Jul '10 19:05
    I don't understand this suggestion. Are you suggesting a zero day time with a zero day bank?
  3. 05 Jul '10 20:02
    Originally posted by Fred Ryan
    I don't understand this suggestion. Are you suggesting a zero day time with a zero day bank?
    Currently, when you offer a new game, you can set the timeout period to 1,3,7,14, or 21 days but not zero days. You can set the timebank for 0,3,7,14,21, or 28 days. Why not be allowed to set the timeout for 0 days? You make a move and the other person's timebank clock starts ticking. we have 0 day timeout tournaments now - so why not individual games/

    there will be some people who try to game the system by making a move when they think their opponent is gone for the day but hopefully the vast majority of games will be for people who enjoy playing quickly.

    currently, one can offer unrated games. a 0 day timeout unrated game would enable a stress-free platform for rapid play. it would be somewhat similar to the RHP's blitz offering but with a larger screen and the analysis tool available.
  4. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    06 Jul '10 13:12
    Originally posted by SacTheKing
    Currently, when you offer a new game, you can set the timeout period to 1,3,7,14, or 21 days but not zero days. You can set the timebank for 0,3,7,14,21, or 28 days. Why not be allowed to set the timeout for 0 days? You make a move and the other person's timebank clock starts ticking. we have 0 day timeout tournaments now - so why not individual games/
    ...[text shortened]... similar to the RHP's blitz offering but with a larger screen and the analysis tool available.
    If you saw this suggestion before you should read the reasons why this is a bad idea. There are several threads on this subject and there are more reasons than I will now list why this is a bad idea.

    Time zones, trickery, etc. You can easily find out when users here are active, and send a 0 day game.

    Wait to move... and let their clock run when they are inactive.

    1 day is the closest you will get... play one day, no time bank for fast games... or play blitz.

    P-
  5. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    06 Jul '10 18:59
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    If you saw this suggestion before you should read the reasons why this is a bad idea. There are several threads on this subject and there are more reasons than I will now list why this is a bad idea.

    Time zones, trickery, etc. You can easily find out when users here are active, and send a 0 day game.

    Wait to move... and let their clock run when th ...[text shortened]... the closest you will get... play one day, no time bank for fast games... or play blitz.

    P-
    But it can't be that bad an idea - I hear they use a 0-day timeout in the yearly Site Championship tourney!
  6. Standard member randolph
    the walrus
    06 Jul '10 19:41
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    If you saw this suggestion before you should read the reasons why this is a bad idea. There are several threads on this subject and there are more reasons than I will now list why this is a bad idea.

    Time zones, trickery, etc. You can easily find out when users here are active, and send a 0 day game.

    Wait to move... and let their clock run when th ...[text shortened]... the closest you will get... play one day, no time bank for fast games... or play blitz.

    P-
    There are 0/21 tournaments. The suggestions that got smacked down were for 0/1 or 0/2.
  7. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    06 Jul '10 19:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by randolph
    There are 0/21 tournaments. The suggestions that got smacked down were for 0/1 or 0/2.
    I don't mind if RHP does it... just expect a bunch of users to complain they were duped by a person having sent a 0 day game.

    Perhaps not... but that is the gist of these threads when they come up.

    When you click a tournament, you know what's going on... sometimes a new user might not realize what's going on with a challenge or open invite.

    P-
  8. 06 Jul '10 20:44
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I don't mind if RHP does it... just expect a bunch of users to complain they were duped by a person having sent a 0 day game.

    Perhaps not... but that is the gist of these threads when they come up.

    When you click a tournament, you know what's going on... sometimes a new user might not realize what's going on with a challenge or open invite.

    P-
    At the very least, i'd like to see 0 day timeout available for unrated new games. As I previously mentioned, that "would enable a stress-free platform for rapid play. it would be somewhat similar to the RHP's blitz offering but with a larger screen and the analysis tool available."
  9. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    07 Jul '10 12:40
    Originally posted by SacTheKing
    At the very least, i'd like to see 0 day timeout available for unrated new games. As I previously mentioned, that "would enable a stress-free platform for rapid play. it would be somewhat similar to the RHP's blitz offering but with a larger screen and the analysis tool available."
    I'll send feedback asking Why Not...

    This subject comes up a lot, and I don't care either way but it would be nice to have an answer from an admin.

    I'll post back if I hear back.

    P-
  10. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    07 Jul '10 20:09
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I'll send feedback asking Why Not...

    This subject comes up a lot, and I don't care either way but it would be nice to have an answer from an admin.

    I'll post back if I hear back.

    P-
    You've already answered the question in your first post in this thread.

    It is just that simple, why the idea is bad.
  11. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    07 Jul '10 20:57
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    You've already answered the question in your first post in this thread.

    It is just that simple, why the idea is bad.
    Let's make the admins say it, so we can point it out next time this subject comes up.

    P-
  12. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    07 Jul '10 22:44
    The point that you guys don't seem to get, but that has been brought up over and over, is that if you don't want to play with those time controls, no one is going to make you.

    I get challenged with a 0/7 game, but I know I can't play those controls, or am afraid that my opponent will trick me. Do I throw a tantrum and curse the admins for creating such an unfair option? Nope....all I have to do is click the trashcan. Why not implement it when it doesn't hurt anyone and many people would enjoy it?
  13. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    07 Jul '10 23:20
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    The point that you guys don't seem to get, but that has been brought up over and over, is that [b]if you don't want to play with those time controls, no one is going to make you.

    I get challenged with a 0/7 game, but I know I can't play those controls, or am afraid that my opponent will trick me. Do I throw a tantrum and curse the admins ...[text shortened]... e trashcan. Why not implement it when it doesn't hurt anyone and many people would enjoy it?[/b]
    It depends on how you view the average RHP user.

    One says she looks carefully over every challenge she receives, making sure the color, time control, etc. are to her liking before she accepts.

    She is also aware of how to delete a game if someone springs a challenge on her, and set her challenge settings to stop most of the unwanted challenges in the first place.

    The second perception is of this dude who just like sees a game waiting and the time is running and oh I guess I'd better like move and stuff, and oh SNAP! Why is my time like going down soooo much faster than the other guy and how did he like learn to cheat like that and why does this stupid site allow such stuff in the first place, dude.
  14. 07 Jul '10 23:51
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    The point that you guys don't seem to get, but that has been brought up over and over, is that [b]if you don't want to play with those time controls, no one is going to make you.

    I get challenged with a 0/7 game, but I know I can't play those controls, or am afraid that my opponent will trick me. Do I throw a tantrum and curse the admins ...[text shortened]... e trashcan. Why not implement it when it doesn't hurt anyone and many people would enjoy it?[/b]
    However, what happens if someone sets up a 0/3 or 0/7 game with you at a time when you are on holiday for say 7 days.

    You know all your games when you left had plenty of time and would not time out so you never set up any vacation time either.

    You get back to find that time had expired and the player had taken the timeout win. OK its just a loss, but none the less it is a loss that is reflected on your overall stats.
  15. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    08 Jul '10 00:12
    Originally posted by adramforall
    However, what happens if someone sets up a 0/3 or 0/7 game with you at a time when you are on holiday for say 7 days.

    You know all your games when you left had plenty of time and would not time out so you never set up any vacation time either.

    You get back to find that time had expired and the player had taken the timeout win. OK its just a loss, but none the less it is a loss that is reflected on your overall stats.
    Not to mention a timeout loss.