1. Joined
    16 Aug '09
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 00:29
    Originally posted by adramforall
    However, what happens if someone sets up a 0/3 or 0/7 game with you at a time when you are on holiday for say 7 days.

You know all your games when you left had plenty of time and would not time out so you never set up any vacation time either.

You get back to find that time had expired and the player had taken the timeout win. OK its just a loss, but none the less it is a loss that is reflected on your overall stats.
    i don't get it. your opponent can only invite you to play a game. you don't have to accept.

separately from the above ....
    i can see how different time zones can cause problems with players who have good intentions and players may want to set up with a longer timebank to mitigate that kind of problem.

0 day timeout unrated games would provide much less incentive for unethical players.
  2. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 00:55
    Originally posted by adramforall
    However, what happens if someone sets up a 0/3 or 0/7 game with you at a time when you are on holiday for say 7 days.

You know all your games when you left had plenty of time and would not time out so you never set up any vacation time either.

You get back to find that time had expired and the player had taken the timeout win. OK its just a loss, but none the less it is a loss that is reflected on your overall stats.
    You realize that non clan/tournament games cannot be timed out if less than two moves have been made, right? Anyway, it's just as likely that that might happen for a 1/0 game.
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 08:30
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    You realize that non clan/tournament games cannot be timed out if less than two moves have been made, right? Anyway, it's just as likely that that might happen for a 1/0 game.
    True. Thats what happens when you post late at night having only slept for 3 hours the day before. Brain numb. 🙁
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 12:52
    The point that you guys don't seem to get, but that has been brought up over and over, is that [b]if you don't want to play with those time controls, no one is going to make you.

I get challenged with a 0/7 game, but I know I can't play those controls, or am afraid that my opponent will trick me. Do I throw a tantrum and curse the admins ...[text shortened]... e trashcan. Why not implement it when it doesn't hurt anyone and many people would enjoy it?[/b]
    Who's getting mad about it? No one is getting 'mad' that I see, they are just pointing out reasons it is a BAD idea.

Perhaps if Russ made 0 day games they should have a big Red Zero next to them. Hover over that and there is a warning. Click it, and it tells you exactly what a zero day game is.

With any luck you understand no one is mad, just saying why this is a bad idea. Not everyone is as smart as you and me you know.

P-
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 16:18
    The point that you guys don't seem to get, but that has been brought up over and over, is that [b]if you don't want to play with those time controls, no one is going to make you.

I get challenged with a 0/7 game, but I know I can't play those controls, or am afraid that my opponent will trick me. Do I throw a tantrum and curse the admins ...[text shortened]... e trashcan. Why not implement it when it doesn't hurt anyone and many people would enjoy it?[/b]
    Here is an example of what can happen without a move ever being played!
    Whites time starts rather they have moved or not!

Copy & Paste was quicker for me. 😉

http://www.chessatwork.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=7522263
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 16:26
    Originally posted by Very Rusty

Game 7522263
  7. Joined
    16 Aug '09
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 20:31
    Originally posted by Very Rusty

was that because it was a tournament game? if a player is offered a new game with 0 day timeout but never accepts the game, he wouldn't time out, right?
  8. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 21:52
    Originally posted by SacTheKing
    was that because it was a tournament game? if a player is offered a new game with 0 day timeout but never accepts the game, he wouldn't time out, right?
    Yup
  9. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 21:58
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    It depends on how you view the average RHP user.

One says she looks carefully over every challenge she receives, making sure the color, time control, etc. are to her liking before she accepts.

She is also aware of how to delete a game if someone springs a challenge on her, and set her challenge settings to stop most of the unwanted challenges in th ...[text shortened]... arn to cheat like that and why does this stupid site allow such stuff in the first place, dude.
    I love how you choose gender specific pronouns. 🙂

It's true, there will be people that accept a game and learn the hard way, but hopefully they will learn after they lose a game or two on timeout. I still feel that the possible gain (at least for unrated games) greatly outweighs any risks. I agree that having a big zero next to the challenge/invite is a good idea, since this is already in place for zero day timeout tournaments anyway.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 22:401 edit
    I love how you choose gender specific pronouns. 🙂

It's true, there will be people that accept a game and learn the hard way, but hopefully they will learn after they lose a game or two on timeout. I still feel that the possible gain (at least for unrated games) greatly outweighs any risks. I agree that having a big zero next to the challenge/invite is a good idea, since this is [b]already
    in place for zero day timeout tournaments anyway.[/b]
    I don't believe you are concerned about timeouts, some folks are.

Also it would be a quick method of getting a rating down really quick if they were rated. 😞

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree