1. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '08 06:431 edit
    there is the "Set peice" option, but I'm lazy, and it would be cool if there was an option to do a FischerRoandom set up automatically to help support my laziness

(edit: ...and enjoyment of fischerandom)
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '08 06:49
    Originally posted by Darth Sponge
    there is the "Set peice" option, but I'm lazy, and it would be cool if there was an option to do a FischerRoandom set up automatically to help support my laziness

(edit: ...and enjoyment of fischerandom)
    Agree.

I would also have the complete rules of Fischer Random. Castling rules are lacking at the moment.

And I would also like to have it rated separately with its own rating.
  3. Joined
    21 May '07
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 03:53
    I have played a couple of Chess-960 games here using the set piece options and I agree that it would be awesome as a fully fledged feature. Things I imagine are:
    - Separate rating
    - Ability to randomly pick one of the 960 positions
    - Ability to enter the position number manually.
    - Castling support.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 06:571 edit
    Originally posted by Deece
    I have played a couple of Chess-960 games here using the set piece options and I agree that it would be awesome as a fully fledged feature. Things I imagine are:
    - Separate rating
    - Ability to randomly pick one of the 960 positions
    - Ability to enter the position number manually.
    - Castling support.
    Surely rating between the different random[1] chess setups is as meaningless as that between normal chess and random? You'd have to keep 960 different ratings for them to mean anything.
    Apart from that, if you are willing to forgo castling, you can already start a random game using the set piece game option. Laziness is hardly an excuse, here.

Richard

[1] The idea is hardly original with Fisher, so I see no good reason to call it FisheRandom
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 11:513 edits
    I have added a fischer random start option on the set piece page. All it does it automate the set up using a virtual roll of a dice - there is no support for castling, and the game is treated just as any other set piece game.

-Russ
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 14:39
    Originally posted by Russ
    I have added a fischer random start option on the set piece page. All it does it automate the set up using a virtual roll of a dice - there is no support for castling, and the game is treated just as any other set piece game.

-Russ
    Thanx Russ, is the castle code to come some day? How about rated? Could you treat Fischer rated games separate like a club rating some day?

Keep me posted, I expect to hear back from you soon.

P-
  7. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 05:041 edit
    Very cool. Thanks Russ!
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 08:09

-Russ
    That's a good start! Thank you Russ.

Actually, the castling rule can be formulated in a way that the same castling rule can apply to both normal chess and Fischer chess. Normal chess is only one setup of the total of 960 setups according to Fischer chess. If you define that the king has not to be at the e1 or e8 square, the rule is exactly the same, and it can be easily be implemented as a part of RHP.

However, Fischer chess playing should be treated with it's own rating system.

When the time is ripe, and the Fischer rules are implemented, I suggest the following:
    Create a "Fischer random" club. Within the club, and only within, Fischer games can be played by the Fischer rules, having Fischer ratings, Fischer tournaments, well, Fischer everything. Outside the Fischer club, no Fischer games can be played. The number of members in the Fischer club will clearly indicate how much interest there is for the Fischer chess.
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 10:09
    It would be nice to have not only this variant but support for a range of others all with their own ratings. www.schemingmind.com has a lot of these variants which are fun to play but overall that site is not a patch on this one.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 10:39
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    It would be nice to have not only this variant but support for a range of others all with their own ratings. www.schemingmind.com has a lot of these variants which are fun to play but overall that site is not a patch on this one.
    But the only thin that differs fischer Random with ordinary chess is the setup, nothing more.
    The other 'exotic chess games' has more or less different chess rules than the standard game.

We shouldn't burden Russ with too much. I think, though, that Fisher Random is similar enough to standard chess that it is 'easily' done to implement it here (in a Fischer Random club as described above).
  11. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 11:12
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    But the only thin that differs fischer Random with ordinary chess is the setup, nothing more.
    The other 'exotic chess games' has more or less different chess rules than the standard game.

We shouldn't burden Russ with too much. I think, though, that Fisher Random is similar enough to standard chess that it is 'easily' done to implement it here (in a Fischer Random club as described above).
    I agree that the programming should be relatively easy. The only thing to do compared with a set up game is to offer support for castling and to implement a different rating system. Neither of these should be too difficult and we already have separate club ratings anyway.
  12. Standard membermisterrigel
    Dosadi Survivor
    Chicago
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 19:42
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    When the time is ripe, and the Fischer rules are implemented, I suggest the following:
    Create a "Fischer random" club. Within the club, and only within, Fischer games can be played by the Fischer rules, having Fischer ratings, Fischer tournaments, well, Fischer everything. Outside the Fischer club, no Fischer games can be played. The number of members in the Fischer club will clearly indicate how much interest there is for the Fischer chess.
    Yes! The club format seems like the ideal way to implement this, I love it.

Rec.
  13. Joined
    09 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 04:40

-Russ
    This is nice.
    But why not to go further and implement support for castling and make available fisher random or Chess960 tournaments ? I don't see a need to create a separate rating system.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree