1. Munich
    Moves
    14 Jul '07 19:35
    It doesn't see possible to create formatted text in the forum. For example this would be necessary for creating a table (I've done a little clan statistic). So a tag for fixed font would be nice like [courier] and [/courier].
  2. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    15 Jul '07 00:121 edit
    Originally posted by MacErik
    It doesn't see possible to create formatted text in the forum. For example this would be necessary for creating a table (I've done a little clan statistic). So a tag for fixed font would be nice like [courier] and [/courier].
    I presume you want a wrapper for the HTML pre tag ?

That would be handy for preserving leading spaces in posts.
  3. Munich
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 08:51
    What is the "html pre" tag? Is there a list of all available tags?
  4. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 10:36
    Originally posted by MacErik
    What is the "html pre" tag?
    HTML is the code that formats all of the content you're seeing in your browser for this page.
    Use the 'view source' option to see this.

The list of available tags and their attributes is long, and I certainly wouldn't expect all of them to be allowed in posting messages. However, certain tags are catered for - [b] and [/b] allow for setting stuff bold for example. See the FAQ for what you can do.

HTML is essentially a formatting language. There are tags to describe paragraphs, titles etc as well as tags for setting the layout. The content of a page is expected to be formatted according to those tags - the rendering of which is up to the browser. This is so that many different browsers can all read the same stuff and cope with window re-sizing etc. As a consequence extra 'white space' is usually ignored.

The PRE tag allows for pre-formatted text - in other words, the basic text formatting of spaces, tabs and newlines etc should be preserved.

Maybe this should be given as an option, in the same way as the bold and italic tags, or maybe the whole content of what you post should be wrapped in a pre tag. Either way it would be useful in providing some control over how posts are presented.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree