1. Joined
    18 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 02:49
    While this may not be exactly a new idea it is something that I have noticed to be a badly designed portion of the site, or at least it isn't working as intended. The problem that I'm refering to here is that some Siege boards do not progress at all. I've been in line for the yellow board for the 1 day/0 Timebank siege, and the board has been "awaiting next game" for months (and yes it's been awaiting the same game). Now I'm not certain if this problem is on all the sieges, frankly I don't have time to keep tabs on them all, but clearly there is something not right when a board is frozen and no chess is being played 🙁

I'm not entirerly sure what to recomend to fix it as I'm a little unclear about the process by which sieges progress from game to game (seeing as how I've never seen this happen), but it seems to me that there could be some sort of time limit to how long a board is "awaiting next game".

At the very least I would appreciate if someone could explain to me why this problem is occuring so that I can at least pretend it all makes sense.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 08:12
    Originally posted by TheNinjunny
    While this may not be exactly a new idea it is something that I have noticed to be a badly designed portion of the site, or at least it isn't working as intended. The problem that I'm refering to here is that some Siege boards do not progress at all. I've been in line for the yellow board for the 1 day/0 Timebank siege, and the board has been "awaitin ...[text shortened]... me why this problem is occuring so that I can at least pretend it all makes sense.
    Wouldn't it easy to implement an auto timeout after two days as is in tournaments?
    In real life we ccall it 'walk over', nothing more thatn that.
  3. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 19:01
    Originally posted by TheNinjunny
    I've been in line for the yellow board for the 1 day/0 Timebank siege, and the board has been "awaiting next game" for months (and yes it's been awaiting the same game)
    The sieges progress when the current champion or the next in line opponent clicks on the link to start the game. It would appear that although both players in question are still active on the site, neither has started the game yet.

Have you considered sending a PM to the two guys in question and politely asked them to start the game? It may be that they don't realise that they are next to play....
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 20:23
    Originally posted by Hindstein
    The sieges progress when the current champion or the next in line opponent clicks on the link to start the game. It would appear that although both players in question are still active on the site, neither has started the game yet.

Have you considered sending a PM to the two guys in question and politely asked them to start the game? It may be that they don't realise that they are next to play....
    So the new game is not started automatically?
    Either part has to start it manually?

How about starting the new game exactly as a tournament starts when new games are created by the system, rather than by clicking a link...
  5. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 02:01
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    So the new game is not started automatically?
    Either part has to start it manually?
    That's right.

The next player in the queue gets a PM from the site to tell them that play has finished on the board and that you are the next player to play - please visit the siege board and click on the link - in the same way as an offered clan challenge...

In fact, I have one now - I'm just gonna finish off a couple of games this weekend before I start it. However, my opponent could start it at any time.

I'm not too sure if auto starts are a good idea. With the exceedingly long waiting times for some of the boards, it could be over a year before you finally make it to the top of the waiting list. Imagine if you spent that long in the queue only to find that your siege game started when you were off for a 2 week holiday and you returned to find that you had lost on a timeout - I think that it would be a little unfair.

At least the tournaments start only a few weeks after you enter for them...
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 07:26
    Originally posted by Hindstein
    That's right.

The next player in the queue gets a PM from the site to tell them that play has finished on the board and that you are the next player to play - please visit the siege board and click on the link - in the same way as an offered clan challenge...

In fact, I have one now - I'm just gonna finish off a couple of games this weekend before I ...[text shortened]... little unfair.

At least the tournaments start only a few weeks after you enter for them...
    Oh, I didn't think of the vacation problem.

Let's say that, if it's your turn but your vacation flag is set - Let the challenger number two take the place but you retain your next place in queue anyway...?

The same problem arises in tournament play. I join the tournament 3/14 but the tournament doesn't start due to weak joining, so I set the vacation flag and go on a 4 day trip (well within the thinking times) only to find you're timed out when you return. Not fun.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree