Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 22 Dec '07 08:53
    For the last few months, I've been playing mainly 21 day games. I organize these into folders of 21 or less games and aim to make 1 move per folder per day (just my way of coping while I'm busy at work). Regular long-haul players seem happy enough with this pace, but I do get the occasional idiot who thinks otherwise. Tough.
    A couple of times I've opened a game to find that I only have one legal move - but the game has been sitting for a couple of weeks. This must be very frustrating for the opponent.
    How about an option setting to allow forced moves to be made automatically?
  2. 22 Dec '07 09:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by CauselessOne
    For the last few months, I've been playing mainly 21 day games. I organize these into folders of 21 or less games and aim to make 1 move per folder per day (just my way of coping while I'm busy at work). Regular long-haul players seem happy enough with this pace, but I do get the occasional idiot who thinks otherwise. Tough.
    A couple of times I've ope ...[text shortened]... or the opponent.
    How about an option setting to allow forced moves to be made automatically?
    'A conditional moves system' is at this time under test as far as I know.
    Perhaps that will help you.
  3. 22 Dec '07 11:31
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    'A conditional moves system' is at this time under test as far as I know.
    Perhaps that will help you.
    mmm... I was thinking more of a general setting ... 'If at any time I only have one possible move, then automatically make it for me'
  4. Standard member youwillfall
    Worlds Worst Speler
    31 Dec '07 18:36
    Originally posted by CauselessOne
    mmm... I was thinking more of a general setting ... 'If at any time I only have one possible move, then automatically make it for me'
    yea thats a good idea its actualy pretty annoying when there is only one move and it takes forever to move

    but then u need some sort of computer to look through every ongoing game and force the move if there is only one moveor mayb have a button u could click if there is only one moveand then have a computer look at it and make the move if there is only one move
  5. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    31 Dec '07 18:43
    Originally posted by youwillfall
    yea thats a good idea its actualy pretty annoying when there is only one move and it takes forever to move

    but then u need some sort of computer to look through every ongoing game and force the move if there is only one moveor mayb have a button u could click if there is only one moveand then have a computer look at it and make the move if there is only one move
    Only YOU can make your moves. Once conditional moves are in, YOU can tell RHP to make that move for you.

    Having anyone, or anything else "make" a move for you is not an option. If you were playing chess in a club tournament and you only had ONE MOVE... but couldn't find it... that is your problem for not knowing the game.

    Imagine you were playing chess with a guy who made his move, and moved your king out of check next.

    "Hey, why are you moving my piece?"

    "Because you only had one legal move."

    It's not going to happen, it is up to you to know your next move in advance using the conditional moves once available, or to do it on your own. Having RHP search for forced moves is outside help in a game. Only you can make your moves, and you have to recognize your legal move even if there is only one option.

    P-
  6. 31 Dec '07 22:39
    There's another problem with this idea. If there were 2 legal moves but you could only see 1, you'd be getting extra information from the fact that the site hadn't made your move for you.
  7. 02 Jan '08 03:07
    Originally posted by Schumi
    There's another problem with this idea. If there were 2 legal moves but you could only see 1, you'd be getting extra information from the fact that the site hadn't made your move for you.
    Good point.
  8. Standard member c99ux
    'Sir' to you
    02 Jan '08 05:11
    Originally posted by CauselessOne
    For the last few months, I've been playing mainly 21 day games. I organize these into folders of 21 or less games and aim to make 1 move per folder per day (just my way of coping while I'm busy at work). Regular long-haul players seem happy enough with this pace, but I do get the occasional idiot who thinks otherwise. Tough.
    A couple of times I've ope ...[text shortened]... or the opponent.
    How about an option setting to allow forced moves to be made automatically?
    As long as you can make a single move, you always have 4 choices:

    1. Make that move.
    2. Take as long a time as you want to make that move (maybe because you have to work it out, or you want to delay play).
    3. Let your time run out and be timed out.
    4. Resign.

    Another thing to consider (the same as with conditional moves) is that maybe your opponent sent a message with the move, or that you want to send a message to them.