1. Illinois
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 09:274 edits
    It would be great to have a little feedback in the forums, albeit simple feedback. While perusing a thread you will run across a post that resonates with you or you wish to promote, and you'll want to quickly register your approval somehow (the current recommend option doesn't lend itself as readily to this). On such occasions a "like" button would be handy—no need to clutter up the thread with another post—just click.

There is often missing in the forums the sense that anyone else is keeping tabs on a debate other than those involved in the debate. It is my opinion that adding a "like" button, similar to the "like" button on facebook, would add quality and depth to the forum experience by allowing the anonymous forum user a way to express his/herself—and the debaters themselves would gain a real sense of the audience. IMO, this would promote higher quality posts overall.

Would this be a difficult code to write? If not, please consider it.

—epi
  2. Illinois
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 09:441 edit
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    It would be great to have a little feedback in the forums, albeit simple feedback. While perusing a thread you will run across a post that resonates with you or you wish to promote, and you'll want to quickly register your approval somehow (the current recommend option doesn't lend itself as readily to this). On such occasions a "like" button would be verall.

Would this be a difficult code to write? If not, please consider it.

—epi
    Unlike facebook, though, the identity of those pressing the "like" button should remain hidden. People might be more willing to press it. Aesthetically speaking, anonymous input would also give presence to the larger chess community. As I said, there is a stifling sense, at times, that no one else is keeping tabs on the debates except those involved. By affirming the presence of others besides the debaters keeping tabs on the debate a more exciting experience is created. IMHO, in this way an anonymous "like" button could only add to the forum experience.

Obviously, a poster should not be able to "like" his own post.... 🙂
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 10:54
    I have considered culling the recs and replacing with likes/unlikes (thumbs up/thumbs down). For many of the reasons you suggest.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 11:05
    This has gone in today. Site announcements for more details.
  5. Illinois
    Moves
    21 Jul '11 00:51
    Originally posted by Russ
    This has gone in today. Site announcements for more details.
    Just noticed. I hope it adds to the site. Wonderful work, BTW.
  6. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    21 Jul '11 05:39
    suggest disabling allowing someone to thumbs up or down their own posts if they still can
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Jul '11 08:52
    Originally posted by coquette
    suggest disabling allowing someone to thumbs up or down their own posts if they still can
    This is the case already, we just show the buttons so you can see how many votes your post got. Pressing the buttons is ineffective.
  8. Joined
    18 Jun '11
    Moves
    21 Jul '11 12:04
    Would it be possible to keep tabs on which posters have the highest number of likes/dislikes and perhaps the highest percentage of likes/dislikes?
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    21 Jul '11 20:18
    IMO recommended post link is obsolete. Shouldn't there be a liked post list as well as disliked post list? Just to crush our egos. 😞
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Jul '11 21:26
    Originally posted by Savielly
    Would it be possible to keep tabs on which posters have the highest number of likes/dislikes and perhaps the highest percentage of likes/dislikes?
    Not, perhaps, the best idea. It would be too easy to abuse. Some clans spring to mind.

Richard
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    21 Jul '11 21:52
    I appreciate the effort in making the buttons as ugly as possible.
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    24 Jul '11 11:01
    I like it. There should also be a tab for 'unrecommended' posts though. Should be good for a laugh.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Jul '11 13:40
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I like it. There should also be a tab for 'unrecommended' posts though. Should be good for a laugh.
    Unrecommended or disrecommended?

Richard
  14. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 06:05
    Recommended posts from the last 7 days - updated every 24 hours.

Erm...this doesn't seem to be the case now, as there are several posts listed which are 10+ days old, and many posts with recs are not listed.
    Wassupwitdat?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree