1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 17:30
    Hello Russ and fellow users.

Russ I am nearly ten years on this site and most of that time a subscriber and with never a complaint about the truly excellent chess site.

In your summary of the site you talk about the forums being the heart of the RHP community which I think is to some extent at least, very true.

However the withdrawal of the forum search facility (other than the last month) is a really significant loss to this particular site facility. There was an accessible encyclopaedic reference of debates going back to the inception of RHP which is now effectively lost.

Is there any possibility you will be bringing this facility back?
    Are all those threads and posting history gone forever even if you did?

I am aware of the attack on the site; but surely there is some way you can overcome this?

Thanks for considering this request.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    09 Feb '18 15:10
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Hello Russ and fellow users.

Russ I am nearly ten years on this site and most of that time a subscriber and with never a complaint about the truly excellent chess site.

In your summary of the site you talk about the forums being the heart of the RHP community which I think is to some extent at least, very true.

However the withdrawal of the f ...[text shortened]... ite; but surely there is some way you can overcome this?

Thanks for considering this request.
    Firstly, don't worry, all content is still available and has not been removed.

The search in its previous form had to go, it was not particularly powerful and total performance hog of our server resources. It will be replaced once an alternative has been implemented.

Even the current embedded Google site search service is about to be dropped, so that will go to shortly too.

So, for now, I can suggest this. Just use vanilla Google like this :

site:redhotpawn.com divegeester "General Forum"

Obviously, after "site:redhotpawn.com", you can search for whatever you wish, but you may find it useful until a proper solution is implemented. At least it will reassure you that all the content is still there and accessible.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 07:411 edit
    Originally posted by @russ

The search in its previous form had to go, it was not particularly powerful and total performance hog of our server resources. It will be replaced once an alternative has been implemented.

Even the current embedded Google site search service is about to be dropped, so that w ...[text shortened]... implemented. At least it will reassure you that all the content is still there and accessible.
    Thanks for the response Russ. Do you have a timeframe for when you are planning to implement an alternative, I mean is it likely to get on your busy job list?
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 04:12
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Thanks for the response Russ. Do you have a timeframe for when you are planning to implement an alternative, I mean is it likely to get on your busy job list?
    Nice suit, dive.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 19:43

Even the current embedded Google site search service is about to be dropped, so that w ...[text shortened]... implemented. At least it will reassure you that all the content is still there and accessible.
    https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/general/dear-divegeester.170236

First on the goggle search 😵
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Mar '18 14:141 edit
    Originally posted by @trev33

A solid gold RHP classic.

And oh, yeah. "Google".
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '18 20:183 edits

From what I've seen, the vast majority of forum content is not now and never has been available via google or even the embedded google site search service - presumably because google does not have access to the actual database.

Will the new search facility actually search the database?
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 02:41
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    From what I've seen, the vast majority of forum content is not now and never has been available via google or even the embedded google site search service - presumably because google does not have access to the actual database.

Will the new search facility actually search the database?
    Why in the hell would Google need access to the databases?

You know what Google is/how it works, right?
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 03:25
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Why in the hell would Google need access to the databases?

You know what Google is/how it works, right?
    I have a reasonable idea of how google works. Based on things you've posted in the past, I'd guess that I have a better idea of the implications of that than you do.

Tell you what. Try a little experiment.

Look at the quote box at the end of my post.

Try to pull it up via the url. It finds it.

Then try to find it via Google using the following text:
    "Christianity is about the mythology"

Google doesn't find it. Why do you think that is?

BTW, there's a chance that Google could have added it to its index after I pulled it up. But it probably isn't very likely.

Of course they disagree with me. Christianity was built upon the words of Paul and his followers rather than the words of Jesus. 

Christianity is about the mythology wrapped around the words of Jesus. From what you've written on this forum, it seems that you have trouble buying into the mythology. It seems you find the mythology "absurd". I don't blame you for finding it so. It doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Pasted from <https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/cains-wife.173539/page-13#post_3761979>
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 01:03

And oh, yeah. "Google".
    I'm sure the people at goggle won't mind.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 May '18 08:08

And oh, yeah. "Google".
    It certainly was a good one, I presume you read it through as you’re in it a lot.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 May '18 08:101 edit
    Originally posted by @trev33

The last lot of “good olde days” when paranoid crew believed that I was a part owner of the site, FMF one the of the moderators and that we were homosexual lovers looking to persecute non-sub scum and thumb-downers.

Those days are long gone, more’s the pity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree