Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 23 Apr '15 18:08
    Why did you change a perfectly good thing??????
  2. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    23 Apr '15 20:51
    Originally posted by Rambu
    Why did you change a perfectly good thing??????
    Why, just to p|ss you off, of course.

    No, it's because the site needed to display better on mobile devices, since more and more people are using those to do their web browsing.
  3. 24 Apr '15 00:13
    Would be nice if we could change the size of the board on a mobile device, as you can imagine your fingers are hitting every piece except the chosen one
  4. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    24 Apr '15 00:26
    Originally posted by Rambu
    Would be nice if we could change the size of the board on a mobile device, as you can imagine your fingers are hitting every piece except the chosen one
    On my Android phone, the board always fills the width of the screen. This is as large as it can possibly be while remaining square. Is it different on your device?
  5. 24 Apr '15 01:28
    On my device, I had the capability of zooming in and out the size of the board, now its just a small square
  6. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    24 Apr '15 03:50
    Originally posted by Rambu
    On my device, I had the capability of zooming in and out the size of the board, now its just a small square
    What device do you have?
  7. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    24 Apr '15 07:18
    Originally posted by Rambu
    On my device, I had the capability of zooming in and out the size of the board, now its just a small square
    You have a choice of five board sizes in your MySettings>MyBoardSettings - try them out to see which one is best for your device.
  8. 24 Apr '15 11:32
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    You have a choice of five board sizes in your MySettings>MyBoardSettings - try them out to see which one is best for your device.
    That doesn't change anything for me (on iPhone6). Set it on Mini: board is still as large as possible, filling the screen.
  9. 24 Apr '15 12:08
    I have an android made by Alcatel, put out by T Mobile. My problem is just the opposite of flower04, no matter what I select the board remains in the mini state!!
  10. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    24 Apr '15 15:36 / 1 edit
    The board size is a "max" preference now, so the board will not scale beyond the currently selected choice. (This is changed from the previous version, where you set the actual board size.)

    This is a site setting - so not ideal if you access from different devices where you may want different maximum sizes.

    This setting will become a per-device setting, with finer control over the sizes in the very near future. (We will probably add a slider control to set this) Otherwise, the maximum possible board size will continue to be used.
  11. 25 Apr '15 13:07
    That would be a welcome addition!
  12. 25 Apr '15 17:34
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Why, just to p|ss you off, of course.

    No, it's because the site needed to display better on mobile devices, since more and more people are using those to do their web browsing.
    That's no excuse for making it worse on a proper screen.
  13. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    25 Apr '15 22:04
    Most of us full-size users also play on smaller devices. We lose a few things from our big screen facilities but we also gain better use from our smaller devices. Personally, I grumble because everyone grumbles when things change, but overall I think I'm winning. Life is much more pleasant if one can adapt to new things - I remember saying that I'd never use a microwave ...
  14. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    26 Apr '15 04:59
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    That's no excuse for making it worse on a proper screen.
    I didn't say it was. I'm sure Russ will use the classic programmer's fallback excuse of "bugs caused by rush to production." Works for me.