1. Joined
    07 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 01:14
    I've been here for a litle while now

starting to get the hang of it, but still get the idea that the scoring is a little hit and miss.

Sure, someone has to win, and i love the present system as it is really quite neat, and fair.. especially the time outs..

Having tried years ago on another site, was so often left hanging off an empty board with the other player having run off to save the loss..

The slight improvement to scoring i was wondering about is related to the length of the game - i have had some games where i have been well and truly trounced - others where 70+ moves later and a single pawn takes control of the game - almost everything else having been wiped off the board.

In these longer games, the consequent change in the score following thw win or loss is the same whether it is a long or short game, whether 'you've' been trounced or not.

If someone wins in 15 or 20 moves - there should be a benefit to their avantage in scoring. The longer you hang around, the lesser the scoring advantage, as i believe the two competitors are more similarly matched.

I have noticed queen swaps as a regular occurence. Sure, part of the game. The consequence of which is typically a longer drawn out game. Could therefore incur a point loss compared with a more convoluted 'fuller' board presenting greater complexity.

Queen swaps are not the only swaps. Once an advantage is gained, even so much as a pawn, given that the opponents are similarly matched, that advantage can be 'swapped' to the end game advantage
    by whittling away at the opposition.

Sure a win is a win, but a drawn out one is surely less powerfull, less spectacular, less dramatic, etc etc.

So i wondered about a multiplier based on moves as an incentive to provide a greater scoring outcome for a faster game.

If this is also tied in to peice score - opponent vs opponent, the long drawn out tussle is rewarded by a lesser 'loss' in score for the more careful and astute..

Don't worry about careful, i lose my queen as often as anybody,
    And in an effort to counter peice swapping, still an obvious and perfectly legal and wholly allowable strategy, a bias added to remaining peices, one vs. the other.

i.e. the cube function coud be sufficient to create a reasonable multiplier of 'K',

(40/moves)**(1/3) i.e. cube root of ratio of moves taken for the game
    40 being a constant - average game duration of moves

cube root of (40/80) ~= 0.79

cube root of (40/20) `= 1.25

So a short game could improve the points change by 25% above standard current scoring, yet when two competitiors are more evenly matched, the change in score would be less dramatic

I have notied, when flicking through peoples bios, that there are wildly varying point scores. My own is no different. This tempering of variation could stabilise this fluctuation.

So - not a criticism, the site is the best i have seen.. Just a slight adjustment

P.S.

There is obviously a way of checking for moves, illegal ones paricularly. I have done quite a few myself and even wondered why i couldn't proceed. Then upon a more focussed deliberation found that by actually looking at the whole board I would now be in check, and should always have been looking elsewhere than my tiny little corner of angst.

So there too is a possible multilier effect, both peices left on the board, and the relative number of peices on the board.

I realise the KISS principle should apply as often as possible. But suspect the mechanism is almost in place to have these added as subtle effects.

i.e points opponent (remainder) - Opp
    points challenger (remainder) - Chg

delta = Opp / Chg

Gamma = (40 - Opp) / (40 - Chg)

K(2) = ( delta * gamma ) **(1/3)

I haven't checked out the effect properly, but i think it rewards the uneven game but doesn't change the outcome if the number of peices are similar.

So an upset loss gets rewarded with the moves modifier

A drawn out game reduces the points variation

An imbalance in peices between opponents favours the one with the greater score, even if they are not the victor.

Alright - i know - i know - just call me stupid

this would send the KISS principle out the window..

However, it may just temper the points fluctuations most of us experience.

Then again, what about those that play millions of games. They could have a stabilising effect based on the number of games and reduce the topsy turvy aspect ................Sorry - now I'm getting carried away.
  2. Standard memberDeathyx
    Brain Ninjaaa!
    Cali
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 04:53
    You are a genius...
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 08:10
    Originally posted by olddog
    I've been here for a litle while now

starting to get the hang of it, but still get the idea that the scoring is a little hit and miss.

Sure, someone has to win, and i love the present system as it is really quite neat, and fair.. especially the time outs..

Having tried years ago on another site, was so often left hanging off an empty board with the ...[text shortened]... ce the topsy turvy aspect ................Sorry - now I'm getting carried away.
    I don't agree.

My win is as much worth if it is long or if it is short.
    My win is as much worth if my opponent resign (or time out) after 15 moves or at 50 moves.

An effect of this proposal is that if I'm under, instead of resign early I make a lot of unneccesary moves, back and forth, checking wherever I can and never give up the lost game, just in order to avoid lose unneccesary rating points.

I think that the games will turn differently, it will be filthier games, and people will use the proposed new rating alteratings to save a point here and there.

So I say no. The rating system is good as it is, doesn't need any changes of this reason.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree