1. Joined
    17 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 00:39
    Why don't they give those without the power to subscribe a least a chance to play a maximum of 8 games? Why 6 max?
  2. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 06:20
    Originally posted by zwu
    Why don't they give those without the power to subscribe a least a chance to play a maximum of 8 games? Why 6 max?
    its all about bandwith nowadays. we have to pay for it.

8 games wont do for non subscribers. i would say 10 will do, but it still wont be enough. everyone must subscribe, it is sooooo much better!!!

honestly!!!!!!
  3. Joined
    17 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 06:57
    No chess site should mistreat their free members. Free members may still be very enthusiastic about chess and the site and may be able to make sigificant contributions. For example, they may come up with original ideas to improve the website.
    While there are some free members who sincerely cannot afford to pay for the chess here, we must realize that every free member is a potential subscriber. If a free member does not enjoy his experience as a free member, he will not subscribe. He will only subscribe if he enjoys his experience as a free member.
    I really enjoyed my experience as a free member at GameKnot, another chess site, so despite being only 13, I begged my parents to pay for the subscription. (I later quit due to compatibility problems with the computer and an unfriendly community.) If I enjoy my free experience here, I will certainly subscribe.
    GameKnot rewarded active free members. For every 4 games finished, the maximum number of games you could play would increase by 1, with a maximum cap at 20 games. I think RedHotPawn should adopt a similar system.
    Finally, I would appreciate feedback by other players on their Red Hot Pawn experience which may affect my decision on whether to subscribe to the site.
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 09:17
    Originally posted by hildanknight
    No chess site should mistreat their free members. Free members may still be very enthusiastic about chess and the site and may be able to make sigificant contributions. For example, they may come up with original ideas to improve the website.
    While there are some free members who sincerely cannot afford to pay for the chess here, we must realize that e ...[text shortened]... their Red Hot Pawn experience which may affect my decision on whether to subscribe to the site.
    6 Concurrent games is more than enough for you to enjoy the experience here and to see the benefits of subscribing.
    By increasing the concurrent games or giving access to other functionality here we take away some of the incentive to subscribe.

Site upkeep and bandwidth costs money.
    Subscribe or go be enthusiastic about chess at another site.
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 09:54
    Originally posted by zwu
    I think non-subscribers should stop whining about a site they pay nothing for.
  6. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 12:48
    Originally posted by zwu
    And what happens if it was increased to 8 games and the next non subscriber thought it might be better if you got 10 free games and then the next reckons 12 etc?

Is it really that hard to pay the small subscription?

There are so many ways to save money to enable you to subscribe.

Drinkers - could you give up a couple of drinks per month? If so you could afford to subscribe

Smokers - could you give up a few cigarettes per day - if so you can afford to subscribe.

Clothes buyers - did you really need to spend £40 on that T shirt/jeans or could you have bought cheaper and paid your subscription?

Children - did you really need to buy those sweets/CD'S etc - if not you could have paid your subscription.

Men who visit prostitutes - DIY one night and and use the money saved to pay your subscription.

🙂
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 13:20
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Non-subscribers do contribute ad revenue, although not much, it does help. There was once a time when the ad revenue was close to worthless, but this isn't the case anymore, thankfully. But of course we would prefer people to subscribe.

-Russ
  8. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    21 Sep '05 18:47
    Originally posted by Russ
    Non-subscribers do contribute ad revenue, although not much, it does help. There was once a time when the ad revenue was close to worthless, but this isn't the case anymore, thankfully. But of course we would prefer people to subscribe.

-Russ
    Why not introduce a budget subscription - full priveleges, but those subscribers still get the inconvenience of adverts?
  9. Berks.
    Moves
    21 Sep '05 20:29
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Why not introduce a budget subscription - full priveleges, but those subscribers still get the inconvenience of adverts?
    You could switch a lot of the advertising off. The only thing I ever remembered seeing prior to deciding to become a paid subscriber was the regular reminder to subscribe. Didn't get any of the other ads. I'd suspect I'd be far from the only one doing that.
  10. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    21 Sep '05 21:43
    I don't feel hard done by as a non-sub. Quite the opposite. And as soon as I can find a suitable way to do so, I will subscribe.
  11. Uk
    Moves
    21 Sep '05 21:57
    mebe there should be a 3month or 6month subscription, or a cheaper sub with less priveleges so perhaps kids could afford to join, I remember when i was a non subscriber I used various ad blockers so i never got the ads, but this site impressed me enough to subscibe to, but i wouldnt be surprised if non subs did the same and used ad blockers etc - there goes your revenue from non subs.
    I think 6 games for non subs is more than enough. But i do comisserate with the younger generation, when i was a kid i got no pocket money, but mebe if there was a cheaper sub (for eg one with a higher cap games limit) i might of convinced my mum to fork out.
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    21 Sep '05 22:40
    Originally posted by redbaron101
    mebe there should be a 3month or 6month subscription, or a cheaper sub with less priveleges so perhaps kids could afford to join, I remember when i was a non subscriber I used various ad blockers so i never got the ads, but this site impressed me enough to subscibe to, but i wouldnt be surprised if non subs did the same and used ad blockers etc - there g ...[text shortened]... cheaper sub (for eg one with a higher cap games limit) i might of convinced my mum to fork out.
    At age 13 you should be capable of picking up a paper route or something to find extra cash.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Sep '05 23:111 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Class Recs {
    void increment(String memType) {
    if( memType != "subscriber" ) { /*use cheap jibe over and over */
    while(1) {
    System.out.println( "I think non-subscribers should stop "
    + "whining about a site they pay nothing for." );
    }
    }
    }
    }
  14. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 05:58
    it's $29.00 USD for a year and a good deal cheaper than other sites i've seen.

for the price of 2 or 3 brand new books on chess or dinner for 2 at a moderately priced resturant (as long as you drink nothing but water), you can have UNLIMITED games.

and if you're 13, jeeez just ask your parents for the money. find some article on the web that says chess makes you smart and show it to them. tell them all the education you need can be accomplished with a mere 29 bucks. forego tithing. play chess.
  15. Joined
    17 Sep '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 07:37
    Free players still contribute to the site. They can contribute many great ideas to improve the site, for example. The high number of players (especially free players) may convince companies to invest in RHP.
    However, the main point is this: Most people will not subscribe unless they are satisfied with their experience as a free player. I may not be poor, but I am not rich either. Therefore, it is the web site team's responsibility to ensure an enjoyable free experience so more players will subscribe.
    I am not saying 6 games is too little, though I would certainly love to play more games. Sites should not work on the policy "penalise free players" - they should work on the policy "reward subscribers" instead and there is a mile of difference which I find difficult to explain. However, very active free players should also recieve recognition. Hence I suggested GK's policy that for every 4 games you complete, your maximum silmutaneous games limit is increased by 1, with a final limit of 20.
    If you have any misunderstandings, I hope I can clarify them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree