1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '22 14:52
    @russ said
    My take on this is the new player has to play white - if they don't, they will never engage with the site if there is not a move waiting for them.

Those who don't go on to make a move when a game is waiting probably need a better tutorial on sign up.

I'm not sure language is such an issue - most people who sign up do appear to be English speakers ( as the site is not offered in any other languages.).
    I think if you're capable of signing up the the site you're equally as capable to work out how to move but on the new player having to move first, I think the opposite is actually better, let the greeter play white, move first with a message so not only does the new player have a game to move in they also have a message to see and reply to.

Other option to have two games set up, one white and one black against the greeter but I think if someone wants to stay and play they're going to do so, I would imagine you get people signing up thinking it's speed chess before realizing games can drag on for months, or if you're playing me - years.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Feb '22 15:271 edit
    @trev33 said
    I think if you're capable of signing up the the site you're equally as capable to work out how to move but on the new player having to move first, I think the opposite is actually better, let the greeter play white, move first with a message so not only does the new player have a game to move in they also have a message to see and reply to.

Other option to have two games se ...[text shortened]... ing it's speed chess before realizing games can drag on for months, or if you're playing me - years.
    I could easily live with a game, where I move first with white in all greeter games with the same move.

I have had quite a number of games with the new person just making their first move...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree