1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 08:151 edit
    We could forma squat of volunteers to act as guide for newcomers. I sometimes observe that people start an acoount, a few games and vanish.

Some of them might stay if we had volunteers who are

* open to play when they are online.
    * Explain the RHP world to those people.

You could offer this to those making new accounts by checkbox. The option to find a suitable opponent that is implemented now is not too helpful I fear.

Edit: further thought: a list of recently joined people would also be of value.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 09:20
    i remember when i joined at first i was given suggestion on who to challenge but when i challenged them they never moved... i think not sure if they still do that but i would remove it, new comers playing newcomers is not a good idea. any halfwit can find the 'open invites' page and get an opponent who wants to play through there.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 12:42
    Originally posted by trev33
    i remember when i joined at first i was given suggestion on who to challenge but when i challenged them they never moved... i think not sure if they still do that but i would remove it, new comers playing newcomers is not a good idea. any halfwit can find the 'open invites' page and get an opponent who wants to play through there.
    Thank you for supporting one aspect 😉
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 04:29
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    We could forma squat of volunteers to act as guide for newcomers. I sometimes observe that people start an acoount, a few games and vanish.

Some of them might stay if we had volunteers who are

* open to play when they are online.
    * Explain the RHP world to those people.

You could offer this to those making new accounts by checkbox. The option to ...[text shortened]... pful I fear.

Edit: further thought: a list of recently joined people would also be of value.
    I suggested this to Russ some time ago because I'd seen the "greeter" option offered on other sites. He said he saw some merit in it, but I imagine it's way down the end of his to-do list right now. Thank you for bringing it up again, to get some debate going. Obviously the "greeters" would need to have been around for quite a while and know their way around the site, to be able to answer questions.

I see it as a way to involve more volunteers in the running of the site, and to help maintain player interest. Greeter duties would require regular visits.
  5. Standard memberBusygirl
    The BOSS
    in my own mind.
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 05:18
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I suggested this to Russ some time ago because I'd seen the "greeter" option offered on other sites. He said he saw some merit in it, but I imagine it's way down the end of his to-do list right now. Thank you for bringing it up again, to get some debate going. Obviously the "greeters" would need to have been around for quite a while and know their way arou ...[text shortened]... site, and to help maintain player interest. Greeter duties would require regular visits.
    I like the idea. What if there was some reward system attached, like encourage 3 newbies to subscribe and save $5 on your own next sub? There's a lot more to the site than learning how to find suitable players. The forums are a veritable morass where a little friendly advise would go a long way towards making someone comfortable.

(Wow, how often do you get to use either of those words? Had to look 'em up to be sure I was using correctly, lol)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree