1. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 19:53
    Can hackers access this site through Facebook ?
    Asking because of the Facebook breach reported today.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 21:32
    It looks like a bad breach.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45686890
  3. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 21:55
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    It looks like a bad breach.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45686890
    Yes. Bypasses security.
    At risk are those who use Facebook to access their banking services.

Ouch !!!

Worth bringing up here.
    I wouldn't want someone to mess with games in here.

I'm ok though.
    I don't have a Facebook account.
    Never had the inclination.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Sep '18 15:23
    Originally posted by @mghrn55
    Yes. Bypasses security.

Ouch !!!

Worth bringing up here.
    I wouldn't want someone to mess with games in here.

I'm ok though.
    I don't have a Facebook account.
    Never had the inclination.
    I believe you would have to have your bank information on your computer for that to happen.

I heard about that too, alot of people I know use facebook.

I don't know what interest a hacker with that kind of knowledge would have with playing around with chess games even if they could get in.

I think they are more interested in accessing peoples Bank accounts.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Sep '18 16:40
    @very-rusty said
    I believe you would have to have your bank information on your computer for that to happen.

I heard about that too, alot of people I know use facebook.

I don't know what interest a hacker with that kind of knowledge would have with playing around with chess games even if they could get in.

I think they are more interested in accessing peoples Bank accounts.
    nevermind the bank account... what if they tank my precious chess rating?? 😲
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Sep '18 18:39
    It is very worrisome for FB, so soon after the Cambridge Analytica incident.

There is probably very little that hackers could do with RHP logins alone, since very little money flows through these portals, unlike, for example, amazon or lotto web sites. However, it might be one piece of a complex puzzle which pays out for some organised crime syndicate.

There is a danger that if several data bases are breached, correlations may be discovered (there are big-data engines which search for such things) which allow hackers to piece together consumer profiles from bits and pieces culled from several sources. E.g., you left you car registration at one web site (an automobile dealer or govt vehicle registration authority), your credit card nr. somewhere else (amazon), your passport details somewhere else (online travel agency), and fifteen other bits of personal information from 14 other data bases .... and at some point, if you're unlucky, the hackers have enough information to open a virtual bank account in your name at an off-shore bank where no one ever shows up in person to identify himself, they take out a bank loan in your name but paying into another off-shore account you know nothing about, offering your house and BMW as collateral against the loan. They get the cash, and you get the bill, or they repossess your house and BMW. Unlikely? Identity theft is a billion-dollar-a-year organised crime industry. What protects most of us is that there are many other fish in the sea; the odds of one person being a victim of such crime are very small. From the hackers' point of view, if they bilk 200 people out of 5,000 dollars each, from a data base of 50 million, it was probably worth the effort.

Moral of the story: be careful what personal information you let go of. This is one reason why it is vital that personal information be deletable, and be verifiably deleted, from data bases. It will probably require heavy-handed legislation to ensure this, since many large players (google, for example) draw their principle income from selling this sort of information to third parties.
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    30 Sep '18 01:19

There is probably very little that hackers could do with RHP logins alone, since very little money flows through these portals, unlike, for example, amazon or lotto web sites. However, it might be one piece of a complex puzzle which pays out for some organised crime syndicate.
    ...[text shortened]... for example) draw their principle income from selling this sort of information to third parties.
    This problem is far worse than I'd imagined. Thanks for the information Moonbus. I'm sure to act accordingly in future.

Thankfully, I haven't been active on FB in about 10 years. Way too intrusive.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Sep '18 08:12
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    This problem is far worse than I'd imagined. Thanks for the information Moonbus. I'm sure to act accordingly in future.

Thankfully, I haven't been active on FB in about 10 years. Way too intrusive.
    What is not clear about FB is whether deleting your account really removes your data from all their data bases and therefore puts it out of reach of hackers, or merely makes it less visible to ordinary FB visitors.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 08:39
    Below is a link to a more thorough description of how the FB breach occurred:

https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-breach-affected-50-million-people/

Skip over the 'DIY emoji' bit, scroll down.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 11:25
    Originally posted by @mghrn55
    Yes. Bypasses security.
    In other words, idiots. Sorry, there's no other word for it.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 17:25
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    In other words, idiots. Sorry, there's no other word for it.
    People have been warned and still don't take the risk seriously. Uncautious people have been led astray by overzealous geeks, such as Zuckerberg, claiming that they have everything secured. They don't.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 20:08
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    nevermind the bank account... what if they tank my precious chess rating?? 😲
    LOL...Your chess rating is more important than your bank account?

-VR
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 23:47
    A friend of mine recently joined RHP creating the account via facebook, or setting it up using facebook log in, I'm not sure exactly. Probably the same method Line or Tinder uses, her photo was unloaded and real name used as her user name. Finally it was fixed but that shouldn't be possible, I'm playing a different person now who has a photo and user name looked like a real name so just for kicks searched for it on facebook and of course found the account of the person I'm playing. Facebook is an evil and greedy cooperation with zero morals and RHP should have no part with it.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 23:48
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    LOL...Your chess rating is more important than your bank account?

-VR
    At least his chess rating is a positive number 😉
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 23:50

...[text shortened]... for example) draw their principle income from selling this sort of information to third parties.
    RHP has recurring payment methods, those records are held somewhere... just like Lotto or amazon.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree