1. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    20 Jan '05 12:33
    How many times do we play to our opponents rating, and not the board? For example, if I play someone a few hundred points weaker than me, I make bad moves, and generally have to fight to a victory.

Similarly, against playes much stronger than me, I give up almost before the game has begun (give up hope that is, not resign).

I play my best against people in my range.

Now, if we can have an option to hide someone's rating when we view the board, I think it would help my play. (and any suggestion to simply not look at the rating is the same as trying not to think of a pink elephant!).
  2. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jan '05 12:41
    Originally posted by Alcra
    How many times do we play to our opponents rating, and not the board? For example, if I play someone a few hundred points weaker than me, I make bad moves, and generally have to fight to a victory.

Similarly, against playes much stronger than me, I give up almost before the game has begun (give up hope that is, not resign).

I play my best against people ...[text shortened]... estion to simply not look at the rating is the same as trying not to think of a pink elephant!).
    This is a mind thing. Generally I'd think it better knowing the rating of the person you are playing. And personally it saves me from alot of games dragging out. If I'm playing a 1200 player and they go down a knight, bishop or rook generally they will resign sooner rather than later based on my rating. Now if they didn't know my rating because they hid it from themselves they might fight on in a pointless battle. Though I really dont mind playing games out I think its a learning experience for both sides no matter how bad things are.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree