1. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 18:52
    Would it be possible that every player gets a holiday time bank, let's say 2 weeks/year, and that this can be used for all games simultaneously?

To my opinion this would be a very helpful option and would reduce some problems widely:

A lot of people have many time outs because of vaccation, which when back enter much lower banded tornaments. I have seen a lot of complains about that.

This would also allow to take a real break. At least I need once a year a break from almost everything, even the well beloved chess. But even as a non-sub with a maximum of only 6 games, I was not able to put it completely down to zero; seems to be impossible for subs with 100 games or so.
  2. Berks.
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 21:01
    Take games with more suitable timebanks then. That is what they exist for. If you feel you may need a couple of weeks away during the game then go for a timeout/bank which lets you do that.

Stick a 7/21 down, and people will accept your going to be moving slowly at times. Those going for a 1/7 or even 1/0 probbably want it over with. Especially with low game numbers for non-subs, who you may be playing, they aren't going to alway be happy to see an opponent diasappear.
  3. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 10:53
    Originally posted by Peakite
    Take games with more suitable timebanks then. That is what they exist for. If you feel you may need a couple of weeks away during the game then go for a timeout/bank which lets you do that.

Stick a 7/21 down, and people will accept your going to be moving slowly at times. Those going for a 1/7 or even 1/0 probbably want it over with. Especially with low g ...[text shortened]... ubs, who you may be playing, they aren't going to alway be happy to see an opponent diasappear.
    Thanks for the answer, but this doesn't solve the problem.

I prefer quicker games, such as 3/7 and most of the time in the year, I do not have problems with that. Just sometimes I have to go on vaccation (business), and it is not always predictable when. Once in the year, I make holidays. I usually know well in advance when, but even so, last time I was not able to finish all my games before (and that as a non-sub with a maximum of 6 games).

If I would be a subcriber, I would enter tournaments right now. Next time that I will be away is early in March. I can certainly say that I would not be able to finish all my games in time and I would be in trouble not to loose those with a shorter time bank due to time outs. This is one reason why I am a non-sub.

In case of the 1/0 games, and maybe other exceptions, holiday time banks could be omitted, thus not affecting players that prefer very fast games.

Anyway, it seems that people do not show much interest for my idea. They seem to be able to manage this problem or do not take care about time outs.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 11:31
    We have often talked about a vacation period. The current system does cover most people's requirements, but I understand why it is not sufficient for all. It is certainly something to look at again in the future.

-Russ
  5. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 11:52
    Originally posted by Russ
    We have often talked about a vacation period. The current system does cover most people's requirements, but I understand why it is not sufficient for all. It is certainly something to look at again in the future.

-Russ
    Thanks.
  6. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 10:251 edit
    Originally posted by gambit05
    Would it be possible that every player gets a holiday time bank, let's say 2 weeks/year, and that this can be used for all games simultaneously?

To my opinion this would be a very helpful option and would reduce some problems widely:

A lot of people have many time outs because of vaccation, which when back enter much lower banded tornaments. I have ...[text shortened]... t able to put it completely down to zero; seems to be impossible for subs with 100 games or so.
    This is exactly why I subscribed to another site which although is inferior to this site in other ways does have this facility (sorry I will not name the site as I think Russ wouldn't like it and I tend to agree that it would be out of order to do so).
  7. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 10:27
    Originally posted by Peakite

Stick a 7/21 down, and people will accept your going to be moving slowly at times. Those going for a 1/7 or even 1/0 probbably want it over with. Especially with low g ...[text shortened]... ubs, who you may be playing, they aren't going to alway be happy to see an opponent diasappear.
    But if you want to play in tournaments this resticts your options. I have played in some tournaments that have lsted almost 2 years so you can't really get around this (except as I said severely restrict your tournament options)
  8. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 10:29
    Originally posted by Russ

-Russ
    If you do you will save me money as I would not subscibe to the other site I play on. I prefer this site to the other but that one offers a vacation timebank.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree