1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 19:543 edits
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Why do you assume so much?
    I will tell you why, and I have noticed you didn't answer the question.

You have not P.M.'d me," untill recently" to discuss anything of concern! I think you did the right thing, and I appreciated that you did.
  2. The sky
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 20:02
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    So, I will take that as a "no", you never did P.M. him and discuss it!

That is an idea.

Sometimes, things can be very easily solved, we just make them more difficult than they are. Yes, I am probably just as guilty as anyone else in that isssue.
    Obviously you can't discuss something that has never occurred to you. And pointing out the problem with his thread flood didn't seem necessary as he seemed quite aware of it himself, saying several times that he'd try to limit himself (which sometimes worked for a very short time).
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 20:132 edits
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Obviously you can't discuss something that has never occurred to you. And pointing out the problem with his thread flood didn't seem necessary as he seemed quite aware of it himself, saying several times that he'd try to limit himself (which sometimes worked for a very short time).
    I would guess, and something that may not have occured to you, that a P.M. from a Moderator, might have went a long way. I don't think GB would listen to another poster (S) telling him what he should or should not be doing, any more than what you or I would!

I may have not participated in the forums, but I did see all the shots thrown at GB, and how very well he handled them!
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 20:162 edits
    I will tell you why, and I have noticed you didn't answer the question.

You have not P.M.'d me," untill recently" to discuss anything of concern! I think you did the right thing, and I appreciated that you did.
    We've always done our talking in the public forums, I assumed you wanted it that way.

Ha!

As a mod, I would only PM someone AS a mod if there were a rule in place. I'm not going to use my super mod powers to force GB to quit posting too often. It's not my place. As an RHP user, I will post my thoughts on the subject.

P-
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 20:17
    We've always done our talking in the public forums, I [b]assumed you wanted it that way.

Ha!

P-[/b]
    I have always said and I can show you posts that back me up on it, that things are much better handled in P.M. than getting into a big war of words in the Public Forum, and everyone getting involved.

On the other hand, if it is drama that is being looked for, it certainly works that way. 😉
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 20:21

As a mod, I would only PM someone AS a mod if there were a rule in place. I'm not going to use my super mod powers to force GB to quit posting too often. It's not my place. As an RHP user, I will post my thoughts on the subject.

P-[/b]
    I don't mean you have to even do it as a Mod. As some of you have told me and impressed the fact upon me, you are also subscribers.

So what would be wrong, in P.M.'ing someone as another subscriber, and saying: hey I would like to have a little chat with you as a fellow subscriber? You might very well be surprised in the results you can get from just a nice friendly conversation.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 20:23
    I would guess, and something that may not have occured to you, that a P.M. from a Moderator, might have went a long way.
    So why did you suggest that I send him a PM? Anyway, he isn't breaking any rules, so I don't really see it as an issue that needs to be solved by a moderator.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 20:28
    So why did you suggest that [b]I send him a PM? Anyway, he isn't breaking any rules, so I don't really see it as an issue that needs to be solved by a moderator.[/b]
    As a fellow subscriber, I don't see as how it would hurt? Do you?

You can accomplish much more by being nice, rather than being demanding. None of us like being told what to do, it is just human nature. I am sure some of the Moderators had their way, there would probably be things they too would like to change.

I think everyone who enjoys the site, like to see improvements made.
  9. The sky
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 20:34
    As a fellow subscriber, I don't see as how it would hurt? Do you?

You can accomplish much more by being nice, rather than being demanding. None of us like being told what to do, it is just human nature. I am sure some of the Moderators had their way, there would probably be things they too would like to change.

I think everyone who enjoys the site, like to see improvements made.
    I can't see how I have been demanding. And as I said, I couldn't send a PM about something I hadn't thought about, and I did send a PM with a link to this thread. What I don't understand is why you seem to deem it important that a moderator sends Grampy a PM about this (and why you point this out specifically to me even though I am not a moderator), while on the other hand you say it's supposed to be "from subscriber to subscriber", not with the "moderator hat" on. That just doesn't make sense to me.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 20:581 edit
    Moments ago Nordlys advised me of this thread. Message received and understood. My thanks to all of you for your candor

and to Nordlys for the timely initiative on my behalf. All solutions proposed are unnecessary. How do you say it, "FIXED".

Bobby

8/25/08

😉
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 21:044 edits
    I can't see how I have been demanding. And as I said, I couldn't send a PM about something I hadn't thought about, and I did send a PM with a link to this thread. What I don't understand is why you seem to deem it important that a moderator sends Grampy a PM about this (and why you point this out specifically to me even though I am not a moderator), w bscriber", not with the "moderator hat" on. That just doesn't make sense to me.
    I didn't mean you personally were demanding.

I was making a point that by being nice, you can accomplish more than being demanding. It was only a suggestion, perhaps it would have accomplished what you were looking for less threads!

You can do it with the hat on or off. What I am saying is if it is done in a nice way, you are more likely to get results, I don't see what is so awfully hard to understand in that. (Sometimes it means more coming from a mod, sometimes from a subscriber)

Phlabs had said he didn't want to do it as a Mod, as no rule had been broken, so I suggested to do it as a fellow subscriber, bad idea in your opinion?

Attacking him personally in the general forum is not going to work for sure. Have you seen some of the shots taken at him in General Forum. I am suprised some of those people are even still posting to be quite honest with you.

I posted before GB's reply!
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 23:17
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Moments ago Nordlys advised me of this thread. Message received and understood. My thanks to all of you for your candor

and to Nordlys for the timely initiative on my behalf. All solutions proposed are unnecessary. How do you say it, "FIXED".

Bobby

8/25/08

😉
    Im confused.
    How can you say its FIXED when nothing was broken in the first place.?
    Because 4 people think you start too many threads you are going to change ? What about the 100 or so that enjoy reading your threads?

COme to think of it, how many threads are too much? I just did a quick check of your threads and at this time you have
    Page 1 - 9
    Page 2 - 3
    Page 3 - 1

Thats 13 out of a total of 90 in the first 3 pages.
    Cant be that difficult to ignore 13 posts. Is it?
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 14:28
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Im confused.
    How can you say its FIXED when nothing was broken in the first place.?
    Because 4 people think you start too many threads you are going to change ? What about the 100 or so that enjoy reading your threads?

COme to think of it, how many threads are too much? I just did a quick check of your threads and at this time you have
    Page 1 - 9
    Page ...[text shortened]... 13 out of a total of 90 in the first 3 pages.
    Cant be that difficult to ignore 13 posts. Is it?
    Today it is 8/5/1 on pages one through 3. Keep in mind GB was gone for a week or so.

You can search pages 5-10 and I'm sure you'll find numbers more like 8/9/9/7/8

Now consider 3 users doing something like that.

That would be 24 threads from 3 users out of 30 posts on a given page.

TOO MUCH.

P-
  14. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 01:24
    Today it is 8/5/1 on pages one through 3. Keep in mind GB was gone for a week or so.

You can search pages 5-10 and I'm sure you'll find numbers more like 8/9/9/7/8

Now consider 3 users doing something like that.

That would be 24 threads from 3 users out of 30 posts on a given page.

TOO MUCH.

P-
    Yes, we would then have an active forum.
    We can't have that.
  15. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 02:21
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    Yes, we would then have an active forum.
    We can't have that.
    Some of us would like to see an active, entertaining forum which didn't have so many threads picking on other posters. Like this one for example, which exists for no other reason than to attack a particular poster. Who IMHO does much to make the forums worth reading. He only appears so frequently because so few other people are willing to start entertaining threads, i.e. those not whingeing about somebody or something on the site.

{Aunt Sally}

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree