1. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 06:28
    the ability to create up to 6 open invites for non-subs and unlimited (or whatever you deem reasonable) open invites for subs in one click

Thank you & apologies if this is already under consideration.
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 09:56
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    the ability to create up to 6 open invites for non-subs and unlimited (or whatever you deem reasonable) open invites for subs in one click

Thank you & apologies if this is already under consideration.
    I think this has been suggested before but do not remember if Russ ever gave it any consideration. I think it is a good idea, basically.

One drawback I can see is if several members decide to put up twenty or thirty games at one time, it would soon clutter the open-invite page and make it difficult for someone to sort through to find a game that suits their interest.

You could end up seeing several pages of just one persons offers, and if the terms were out of your range it would soon become tedious to work your way through several pages of unacceptable offers just to find a game.

One solution for this would be to combine multiple game offers that have identical terms into a single entry. As games were picked up the game would be started but the entry would remain in place until the total number of games offered were depleted. In that way twenty identical games would only be seen as a single game offered.
  3. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 22:29
    I concur with your improvements 🙂 Someone on another site has flooded the open games area there and no one can accept/delete those offers or add new offers. The owner is absent.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 01:52
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I think this has been suggested before but do not remember if Russ ever gave it any consideration. I think it is a good idea, basically.

One drawback I can see is if several members decide to put up twenty or thirty games at one time, it would soon clutter the open-invite page and make it difficult for someone to sort through to find a game that suits t ...[text shortened]... d were depleted. In that way twenty identical games would only be seen as a single game offered.
    One should be able to filter the open invites for parameters they want. No need to bother them with offers they don't want.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 02:56
    I've just been looking through a long list of open invites, very few of which are actually open for me to play. I'm sure having a filter to allow me to see only those few would encourage more people to add open invites to the list, when they can't see anything to suit them. It's a bit off-putting when you can see 30 games (of which only two are available, neither with acceptable time controls) and know that your two offerings are going to make it 32!

The other point. I'm happy to play p1200 players at any time, but I can't create open invites for that purpose. If I specify any rating limits at all, the system excludes provisionals; if I put "p1200 only please" in the GameName field it's universally ignored. The whole "open invites" thing needs work if it is to do a reasonable job of matching opponents.
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 12:41
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I've just been looking through a long list of open invites, very few of which are actually open for me to play. I'm sure having a filter to allow me to see only those few would encourage more people to add open invites to the list, when they can't see anything to suit them. It's a bit off-putting when you can see 30 games (of which only two are available, n ...[text shortened]... The whole "open invites" thing needs work if it is to do a reasonable job of matching opponents.
    I agree with your points.

Right now when I look at the open invite page I see 25 games listed, with only one of them that I could accept if I were looking for a new game at this time. If I can't take up the game, I really don't need to see it listed there either. There is no filter that I am aware of to show only games I can accept, but it would be nice to have.

Some of them are multiple games offered by the same person with exactly the same parameters. Those could all be shown as a single line item. Just add the actual number of games being offered somewhere on the line. As games are accepted the number would be updated to however many are still on offer. (This is the point I attempted to make in my earlier post in this thread.)

Like you, I have no problem with playing provisional players. I don't believe that setting a rating limit on an open invite game should automatically exclude a provisional player just because they have a "p" prefix in their rating.

I think we all realize that when a player is provisional their rating is somewhat volatile. They may be much stronger (or weaker) than what is currently indicated, but isn't that already factored in when the game is over and new ratings are determined? A regular members' gain or loss of points is only half of what it normally would be, if I remember correctly. (I think this is covered in the FAQ.)

Perhaps there should just be an option to decline games with provisional players for those who really feel strongly about it. Otherwise they should be allowed to accept an open invite as long as their rating falls within the limits that are set, regardless of their provisional status.
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 Sep '14 10:52
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I've just been looking through a long list of open invites, very few of which are actually open for me to play. I'm sure having a filter to allow me to see only those few would encourage more people to add open invites to the list, when they can't see anything to suit them. It's a bit off-putting when you can see 30 games (of which only two are available, n ...[text shortened]... The whole "open invites" thing needs work if it is to do a reasonable job of matching opponents.
    Indeed to keep the thread alive I rephrase the suggestions:

* Make a filter available, so that only selectable open invites are shown.
    * make an option to put out open invites for people having a rating of "p1200" or having not completed five games, if that is easier to program.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree