1. Joined
    02 Jun '05
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 07:55
    in real chess you are allowed to make an illegal move, but if your opponent catches you she can claim a win. i think it should be the same here.
  2. Standard memberHegemon
    A Lost Bobby
    London
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 08:22
    I think that is a horrible idea.

How do you propose that the RHP program can deterimin if the match is finished if it allows illegal moves. no, in a program there has to be a set of rules for it to work with.

Now your point that this is allowed in real live games notwithstanding, I think it's horrible for beginner players.

I could come up with dozens of reasons for this being a bad idea... but i gotta do some work... I'm sure others will add to this.

3. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 09:08
    In 'real' chess you are not allowed to make an illegal move.
  4. Joined
    02 Jun '05
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 09:11
    there is no program stopping you from moving a piece to a given square, so you are allowed to. And if you don't get caught the game goes on. If you do you lose.
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 09:29
    Originally posted by winning machine
    there is no program stopping you from moving a piece to a given square, so you are allowed to. And if you don't get caught the game goes on. If you do you lose.
    Read the FIDE rules. You don't automatically lose if you make an illegal move (lightning and moving into check aside).

It's an awful idea for the site.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree