1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 08:421 edit
    After getting the latest Apple SDK and trying OS3, I noticed that the feature I spent quite a bit of time on is now mostly redundant. 😳 Apple have now solved the same problem - when holding your finger over a piece, on OS3, the OS pops up a magnifying glass to show what is beneath your finger. And my code does the same, so it all gets a bit messy.

Should I cut my code out, assuming everyone will move to OS3 soon anyway? Comments?
  2. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateâ„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 08:47
    Originally posted by Russ
    After getting the latest Apple SDK and trying OS3, I noticed that the feature I spent quite a bit of time on is now mostly redundant. 😳 Apple have now solved the same problem - when holding your finger over a piece, on OS3, the OS pops up a magnifying glass to show what is beneath your finger. And my code does the same, so it all gets a bit messy.

Should I cut my code out, assuming everyone will move to OS3 soon anyway? Comments?
    Cut your code out.

As a developer you shouldn't be forced to design for legacy browsers just because small groups of users will refuse to upgrade to the latest versions.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 09:16
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Cut your code out.

As a developer you shouldn't be forced to design for legacy browsers just because small groups of users will refuse to upgrade to the latest versions.
    Sounds reasonable to me.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 09:45
    Actually, having taken another look at it, it is worse than I thought.

The new OS magnifying glass thing that pops up breaks the process of selecting pieces once it is active. You can't just drag your finger around until you find the piece you want, then remove your finger to select, as you could before.

If anyone is actually using OS3 for their games, can you let me know how you are getting on please?
  5. Standard memberMesschaert
    Indulgent One
    d1
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 00:45
    Russ,

I use the interface on my iphone OS3, and it works fine. Here's what happens:

You select "My games" and pick your game.

Then the board comes up.

To move a piece, you do a "quick touch" to highlight your piece, and it turns green, and then another "quick touch" to place it. No problems. If you pause during this process, then your code kicks which displays a larger square in which the piece is identified. This really isn't necessary in my opinion. I can see my screen just fine. But what is FUN about this is that if you let your finger linger then the apple code kicks and then depending on your finger movement, one of two things happen: one thing that happens is that it gives you the option to "copy" this big box and then you can send this pic of a queen, or pawn, or whatever, to your friends and family by pasting it into whatever messaging you want to do. Another thing that happens is that the apple code kicks in with the magnifying glass. This magnifying glass is not as helpful as your big box for showing the piece.

In my judgment, your code (in which a the piece is displayed in a larger box) is not necessary because the chess board and all the pieces are very readable on the screen. On the other hand, it does give you this unintended side-effect option of being able to copy pictures of the pieces. But, that isn't really necessary or even all that much fun on the fun-o-meter.

If you want folks to be able to see "big pictures" of the pieces, your code works better than the magnifying glass. But if you realize that the board and pieces are easy to read without any kind of magnification (but then again, I don't yet need bifocals on my glasses!) then you should ditch the code.

I hope you find this feedback helpful.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree