1. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 11:27
    Sometimes it would be good to ask the computer if the move you are about to make achieves checkmate.

I like to be sure I've won before thanking my opponent for the game.
  2. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 11:40
    Originally posted by invigorate
    Sometimes it would be good to ask the computer if the move you are about to make achieves checkmate.

I love chess so much that I thank my opponent every time I move. Thanks for letting me post in your thread.
  3. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 15:03
    Me too, I can think of few things more embarrasing than thanking someone for a game when it's not yet over.

So when I think I've checkmated, I check it a gazillion times just to make absolutely sure. It's safer not to comment, but a thank you is good etiquette.

On the other hand, such a feature should not assist you in finding checkmate. Perhaps if your move results in checkmate, a box allowing you to re-edit your comment (ie add a "thank you"😉 appears. But the move itself must be irreversible.

4. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 17:35

If you can't be sure, then maybe you're playing the wrong game.
  5. Standard memberWheely
    Instant Buzz
    C#minor
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 18:01
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    I think maybe I am playing the wrong game because even when I am 100% sure, I'm still not sure. When I checkmate, I message the thanks to my opponent afterwards.
  6. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 18:24
    if we could send messages even when its not our turn, that would solve this problem as well.
  7. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 19:58
    Originally posted by MIODude
    if we could send messages even when its not our turn, that would solve this problem as well.
    you can. it's called PM.
  8. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 20:18
    Originally posted by rhb
    you can. it's called PM.
    true..but it would be easier right in the board game
  9. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 09:22
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Well, I've "mated" someone before. Thanked them for the game, only to discover that in so doing I'd put myself in check. Fortunately, on that occasion, the move came back as invalid so I was spared the embarrassment of the "Thank you" message getting through to my opponent.

Regradless of how certain I am, until it says "you won" on the game list there's always some nagging doubt at the back of my mind.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 12:16

The problem is that it's 'using a computer to check your moves'. I'm afraid that the feeling of stupidity at saying "I've won" when you haven't is one of the hazards chess players face ...
  11. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 16:27
    I would have to agree though that you can't have a button saying if its checkmate or not..
    I played one game, and made a stupid move thinking it was checkmate.. and I didn't even notice that my piece was lined up with his knight (lined up?.. ok.. crooked up)..
    Ya. stupid move.. but the point was..that if I had a button to say check mate.. I would have noticed and not lost my rook
  12. Joined
    05 Dec '04
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 17:24
    I usually recognize the forced mate and before I mate my opponent, they usually go "Thanks for the game."

I wonder if someone has gone "Thanks for the game" and the opponent doesn't recognize the forced mate at first. Then looks more closely and sees the forced mate.
  13. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 23:14
    I ussually wait till the checkmate move to message but sometimes they resign a move early so I never send that message. Everytime I send a ty message with a checkmate move I'm afraid I'm wrong. I even checkmate people by accident, this is very common for me in blitz otb where I don't have time to calculate every possibility in my mind as I'm rushed to move.

It's like check.................mate?................um, yeah that's it..............um check mate! This ussually just irratates them more....

Nyxie

ps : I like the idea that if it is a checkmate move a little window pops up allowing you to send a final message.
  14. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 00:55
    I find I don't checkmate many people. Mostly when I find the forced mate I'll send a message pointing it out. Most people are sporting enough to realise that they have lost and resign. I haven't got a mating line wrong yet but it's sure to happen eventually.
  15. In an office
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 16:35
    I think thanking someone even if you have unsuccessfully "mated" if ine. Even if you wind up losing the game at least you've demonstrated some courtesy. Its happened to me before. Embarrassing as hell, but i never regret saying thank you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree