1. Joined
    21 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:551 edit
    It would be nice if the MyGames page auto refreshed.
  2. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:58
    F5

🙄
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:58
    Originally posted by rhb
    F5

🙄
    Yeah...but that's not very automatic.
  4. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 22:32
    Originally posted by thomaschung
    Yeah...but that's not very automatic.
    I think the amount of energy required to press F5 (or click the little refresh button on the browser) doesn't merit an autorefresh.

I'm no techie but I think it would increase bandwidth consumption also.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 23:07
    Originally posted by rhb
    I think the amount of energy required to press F5 (or click the little refresh button on the browser) doesn't merit an autorefresh.

I'm no techie but I think it would increase bandwidth consumption also.
    It could be a preference.

Do you want to autorefresh yes/no? If yes, have a dropdown of 5,15,30,60 minutes. Then when the page is rendered, add a META-REFRESH tag with whatever interval the user wants.

I have like a zillion browser windows open and would be nice to just be able to look over to see if it's my turn to move--without having to hit F5 or the Refresh button.

Just a suggestion of course....
  6. Northern Virginia
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 18:32
    I'll add my vote for the auto-refresh idea. And add that I'd like that option on the play windows as well. When I'm in a game that's seeing a move every few minutes (often the case in the early evening), it's a minor pain to keep refreshing the screen to see if the other guy has moved, especially when I'm trying to concentrate, using the Analyze window to work through my upcoming strategy.
  7. Virginia
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 21:15
    This has come up in the past. It has been rejected, primarily because it could cause more load on the server.

Besides, it is online corresponance chess. If you need more of a chess fix, hit uChess.
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 21:32
    Originally posted by Pie1120
    This has come up in the past. It has been rejected, primarily because it could cause more load on the server.

Besides, it is online corresponance chess. If you need more of a chess fix, hit uChess.
    Unless the refresh interval is in seconds and *everybody* is doing it, I really doubt server load is a factor.

Plus, a side benefit for RHP would be the additional ad traffic and money received from that additional "view".

9. Internet
    Moves
    18 Mar '05 00:04
    Originally posted by thomaschung
    Unless the refresh interval is in seconds and *everybody* is doing it, I really doubt server load is a factor.

Plus, a side benefit for RHP would be the additional ad traffic and money received from that additional "view".

I doubt that the adds produce much revenue and they're only displayed for non-members. Normally only click-throughs will give money.

Russ is working on interfaces so you can have a small taskbar application that gives you a notification when it's your turn to move.
  10. jonai
    Moves
    18 Mar '05 01:07
    yeah....i congratulate russ in advance. it is a good idea....less consumtion of bandwidth + no need of pressing the painful F5 and wait for the whole page reloaded even though there may not have a single move for me waiting!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree